Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Back home, and all the usual things to do

 


Monday

I woke up earlier than I wanted to, but had slept better up to that point because the room was cool. I puttered around in the room while Chris read online. Then I washed up and got dressed. I took my water bottles to get refilled. I chatted with another woman who was doing the same thing. When I got back to the room, I noticed that it smelled stuffy.

I checked my messages. I jotted notes for my blog. I added to my to-do list. I made breakfast and ate it while listening to some podcast.

Then we packed up all our stuff and moved it to the car. We headed home. We stopped somewhere for a bathroom break, then continued on. The whole time we listened to a book on CD. The writing was so dramatic that I could not sleep through it. No one was ever mildly irritated or concerned. People were furious, or heartbroken, or ecstatic, or paralyzed with fear.

When we got back to base, we brought our luggage into the house and unpacked. We went to the post office for mail, then the commissary for food. Tiffany was there and we talked about putting out water for the birds so they won't eat the tomatoes. Then we stopped at the library to return the book on CD and get a more reserved one.

I checked e-mail, then went to clean 607 for an hour. It smelled like something had died in there. I opened the windows, and put water down all the drains. Finally I flushed out the insinkerator. I cleaned the oven as best I could, then put some hot water and ammonia inside to lift the last of it and to loosen the grease on the racks. I also picked some peppers in the garden she left behind. 

A man came to the door and asked for the swing. I told him if it was still here when I took the house to Inspection, he could have it. He also asked for the microwave in the garage and I let him have that.

On the way home, I stopped to inspect my garden. Lots of gopher mounds. Also, lots of cherry tomatoes. I guess the birds went for the water bowl after all. Also, I picked 4 squash and a spherical cucumber. When I got home, I washed the tomatoes and ate them. I watered my outdoor plants and refilled the jugs. Chris made ground beef with the small potatoes from our garden. I ate that for supper and some cashews. I opened the packages from the post office and gave Chris the one with the new remote.

I took two squash and went to the chapel for band practice. At first it was just Keli and me. Then Sophia came. Later Jenni showed up. We played through the hymns and Christmas songs. We discussed what we needed copies of. They left and Jenni stayed to talk. She is taking me to the dentist tomorrow and said to pack a bathing suit for walking the lazy river.

When I got home, I read messages and worked on my blog. I ate chia seed and blueberries.  I made tea and we watched the last episode of Criminal Minds season 14.  But that's all the library has, so we will have to find something else to watch.  

I read online.  Chris went to bed and later so did I. 

No comments: