Friday, August 14, 2026

Power off

 


Thursday

I got up after 8.  I made a large glass of vit C water, then worked on my morning list.  I went to the chapel and unlocked it.  I forgot my Bible so I went home to get it, and drove back. Jenni came with treats, which she passed out.  We chatted, then prayed and read from Genesis 38.  I shared all the tidbits that I read from commentaries.  Others shared as well.  Then we talked about planning a kitchen cleaning session for Saturday.  After a closing prayer, we headed out.

I got home at 11, had fiber gel, then went out to clear mounds.  I set a trap near one mound, then went to the next mound.  The trap went off and I pulled out a gopher who died pretty quickly.  I worked on more mounds, then set the trap in a new one.

I made and ate breakfast while watching The Highwire.  I wanted to take screen shots, but the green stuff kept getting in the way. I laid out in the sun.  I checked  e-mail.  I walked to the post office for mail.  I saw someone left stuff outside the swap shop so I shoved it in.  I walked back home and checked the gopher trap.  Nope. 

 I rebooted my computer to get rid of the green stuff.  While listening to a video on the Wavwatch, I started preparing a Swansons order. But the internet went down and the winds ramped up. So, I worked offline on the swap shop movie. I renamed all the movie bits so I could easily find the parts I wanted. Then the power went out. I worked on my blog for posting later.

I decided to read a book. I read inside, I read outside, I read inside again and it rained. I pulled the pigs feet from the oven and ate one. It was incredibly spicy. But I didn't want to open the fridge to get rice. So I pulled out another foot and covered it with a can of soup.

Chris didn't come home so I texted him. He said he was taking John to work to apply for jobs. I texted back "Ok, I'll just sit here alone in the dark".  (It wasn't that dark).  Minutes later, Michele arrived with part of a pizza. Apparently Chris had gone over there and shared his pizza before taking John to his office. Michele laid on the floor and we talked for some time.

Chris and John arrived as it was getting truly dark. I lit a candle in the bathroom and one in the dining room. Fumbling in the sideboard, I extracted a long taper that was sheathed in plastic. I peeled the plastic off and lit it.

We all gathered around it in the den. Michele held it till Chris found a candle holder. We discussed this and that. Chris went to bed. The three of us chatted until they left even though I invited them to spend the night.  They did not want the candle. 

 I got ready for bed. I hated to blow out the candles, but since I had my solar lantern, I figured I could turn that on if needed. I took it to bed with me. However, within 30 minutes or so, there was a slight beep and the street lights came through the window. So power on.

No comments: