Sunday, September 22, 2024

Sewing class

Saturday

I got up before 8. I looked at the URU videos to see what I had missed. I took notes for next time. I practiced our Oktoberfest songs on my trombone. The slide was making a scratchy sound. I may have to have this slide serviced as well.

I jotted notes for my blog. I made up a week's worth of supplements. I asked Chris for a massage and he agreed. Afterward, he took his shower and I took mine. I made and ate breakfast. He hardboiled 18 eggs for me. I grabbed a few things for sewing class and headed to the chapel, stopping along the way to unlock the swap shop for Alan.

I unlocked the chapel doors and checked the restrooms and bucket trap. I set up two machines. I started trimming quilt blocks from decades ago. Then Karen came with Saronna's girls. I got them started on the marble maze project. Sophia sewed almost the whole way around her maze before discovering that it was making large loops underneath. It was a ton of thread and I hated to waste it, so I picked at it with a pin and eventually came away with 8 long threads that I could save for later. I discovered that the bobbin case wasn't set in correctly, so I got her another machine. Moira finished hers and went out to play. John came over with the boys. Wilhelm didn't start right away. But then he sewed around his mat, then drew his own idea of a maze on a piece of paper. But it was bigger than the project and he sewed off the mat. He handed to me and told me to fix it, and he went off to play with his brother. I ripped all the internal stitches out so the paper came off. Then he decided to sew freehand.

But at 4 he hadn't finished and I had to go. Audra wanted me to examine the house she cleaned and Alan wanted a quote. We packed up and I texted him. She responded first so I took a stepstool and went to her house to check everything I could think of. It took longer than I expected. I found lots of little things.

At 5 I went to Second Street to make a quote. Jamie and I had cleaned the house last year. It seemed to be similarly dirty so I quoted him the same price. I called Jamie to get her ok, then struck the deal. We are meeting on Wednesday for the sign-over.

When I got home, Chris had pulled beef out of the oven. I had beef and rice for supper. I also made a carrot salad. I read some e-mail, then I started peeling the 18 eggs. It was slow and hard. Lots of egg flesh came off with the shell. I had only finished three when it was time to leave.

I headed to the chapel. I meant to stop and lock up the swap shop, but the sprinklers were on and I didn't want to get wet. I unlocked the chapel. I checked the trap again, but it was empty. Stirling and MeryAnn came, each with a project. Then Saronna came with Wilhelm and Sophia. Sophia completed her project quickly and walked home. Wilhelm however, needed a lot of help and never did get his marble inside. Then they had to go home. Jenni came too. She finished her yoga mat strap and then worked on her casserole carrier.

During the evening, we spied mice running in and out of the room. Stirling put honey on the trap to make it more appealing. It was after 9 when we packed up and headed out. I locked the swap shop on the way home, getting in around 9:30. Chris was already in bed asleep. I checked e-mail, then put on a podcast to listen to while I peeled the rest of the eggs. I put them in the pickling juice and went to bed.



No comments: