Sunday, November 26, 2017

Walking on a nice day

I did not sleep well last night. I thought I heard Dad walking around at intervals all night. But he said he slept for hours. He knocked on my door at 7am. I was already awake.
I was not rested. I drank water and made breakfast. I ate it while reading e-mail. I scrubbed the tub, then took a bath and got dressed for church. I put walking shoes and a water bottle and some seed crackers in a bag. Dad and I went out to the car. We headed to church with me driving. But he had forgotten his dentures. So I turned back. I sat in the car in front of the house, waiting for him to come back with dentures. And waited. And waited. Finally I had to make a pit stop, so I went to the house, but it was locked. I knocked and knocked and finally he opened the door. He'd had to make a pit stop too.
So he brought his dentures back to the car and we took off again.
We arrived at church half an hour late, joining the Sunday school class already in progress. Faye came in later, having planned for kids school, but none showed up. After class, Dad left to join the choir. Faye and I put away chairs and talked until the last minute. Then we sat in the sanctuary for the service. It went well. The interim pastor was out of town so we had a supply pastor who was a member of the church. He talked about gratitude. Slides were shown on a large monitor at the front of the room. I wondered how much that had cost.
After the service, we collected Dad and walked to the fellowship hall for snacks. I got some veggies and clementine sections. We sat at a table and talked to people I haven't seen for years. Dolly said she had just sent me a card (to the Korea address). I visited with Sandy, too, who is planning to retire from teaching at the end of the year.
After the crowd thinned out, Faye and Dad and I went to Subway for lunch. Dad brought a can of soup. I ordered a salad and gave him the lid to use as a bowl. Faye ate a sub. After eating, they greeted Hannah, who used to work there and had memorized their order.
We went back to the church. I changed my shoes and we went walking for just over an hour through the neighborhood. It was a nice day and I did not need a coat. But the sun got low in the sky. So when we left to go home, it was in my eyes.
We got to Dad's house ahead of Chris, who was coming from his parents house. I blended up some casserole and chicken for Dad. We were eating supper when Chris arrived. Chris ate the last piece of cake. Faye had stopped at Cosco so she was a little later. She came to collect her to-do list which had gotten lost in one of the shoe bags from yesterday.
After Faye left, I sat by Chris and looked at the book, the Samuel Fox Diary. Then I washed the blender and made hummus. The cumin turned out to be bad so we threw it out. But the hummus wasn't the same without it. Then I washed a bunch of dishes, including ALL of the measuring cups. Dad wanted grapes so I peeled a bunch for him. I looked through the box of fabric and patterns that Karen gave me. They were very interesting. Afterward, I had trouble getting them all back in the box.
I wrote up my blog as Dad assembled garbage for the truck tomorrow. I finished my Swansons order and submitted it. I took my evening supplements. I published my blog post, hoping we'd all go to bed soon. *
* A pretty fall tree *

No comments: