Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Bad, The Good, and the Unexpected


Last night I read in a publication on the internet about army life in Seoul. There were good things, but what stuck in my mind were the mosquitoes, Yellow Dust (sand blowing from China), air pollution (discolors light-colored upholstered furniture), squat pots (don't ask), monsoon rains (and you gotta walk everywhere), shoving as accepted and expected behavior, changing exchange rates, price haggling, etc. I called my husband in a fit of tears and asked him if he'd mind terribly if I didn't go. I needed to hear something good about living in Seoul.
Well, today was Quilt Guild Day, my favorite day of each month. We show each other what we've worked on and discuss opportunities to do more. Don't forget the snacks!. Afterwards, eight of us went to lunch and had a great time talking. My fellow guild members are so supportive and well-wishing, I'll miss them A LOT! I hope they are reading this blog. I took pictures this morning in case (gasp!) I never see them again. By this time next month, we'll be facing a LONG plane ride. Oh, and after telling everyone how we couldn't take action because we didn't have official orders yet, I came home to find an e-mail that the orders came through last night. Well!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Right now everything is chaos...changing of the status quo...do what you have to do...one QUICK step at a time. Your friends are here to support you and can mentally support you even if far away.
Think of the adventure. If shoving is acceptable...learn and perfect it as well as the other cultural changes. Can one smile?Does it mean something else????What other Korean habits must you learn?
There is so much beauty in the world. When you get there be open to it and relegate the other stuff to just the other stuff bin. Hopefully you will get to talk to the "girl" Maryann mentioned.
I will get your quilt entries in the show and collect them afterwards if you wish. Keep us all posted about a place some of us will never be! Pat

Gwenda said...

I spoke to a Korean friend of mine that was raised in the US and she and her family LOVE Korea and can't wait to go back! She explained to me about the shoving. She also said once they accept you, they will literally give you the shirt off their back if you mention that you like it!