Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday at the Library

Just a quick note. We just missed the monsoon season. It rained a lot the first two days but has been nicely sunny ever since. Tuesday we walked off post to go to dinner. We found an Indian restaurant that was actually under the sidewalk. It was like walking down a tunnel in to another world. The food was really good, too. We passed Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, 7 Eleven, Subway.
The hotel charges $6 a day to access the internet. Today I discovered the library, where you can get an hour for free. Also discovered the hospital, where I got my next round of immunizations.
The thrift store is STILL closed as it the gift shop. Only open for a few hours on Wednesday and Saturday. But still a good walk. Everybody walks a lot here. Buses run every half hour, but most things you can walk faster than that.
My arm is better now that I have an ID card and can buy first aid stuff at the Px. It is no longer weeping and I can finally sleep. We have been waking in the middle of the night, but hope to have our sleep cycles adjusted soon.
The hotel we are staying in has a Japanese garden in the back. Michele and I had lunch from the bakery (mmmm..) and ate it outside in the garden. Tiny birds came and hopped around us eating our crumbs. They were sooo cute. It is a great hotel. It has a pool and hot tub and workout center, washer and dryer, all kinds of shopping (cell phones, bakery, ice cream, restaurants, etc). One restaurant we go to every morning for breakfast. The waitress takes our order with out writing anything down. The next day she asked me ifI wanted OJ again! I usually get the yogurt/fruit/granola parfait. Yum!
I meant to take pictures of the base to post so you could see it, but apparently that is a reportable offense. So bear with me until I have pictures from off post.
My hour is almost up. Thanks for the e-mails. Keep them coming!

3 comments:

Pat said...

Please take a picture of the little garden where you and Michele ate. All that you report sounds like a positive adventure. If you keep walking so much you will be as thin as a rail...maybe I should walk that much, come to think of that!

Gwenda said...

My mouth is watering and I've gained two pounds just reading about all your meals out! I love to eat out and try new foods!

Can't wait to see pictures!

Fern said...

Gwenda, send me an e-mail so I have your address. I'll get you a picture of the bakery.