Thursday, August 28, 2008

Friday morning - FABRIC

Yesterday at the expo I signed up for the quilting group and the shopping/touring group. They had groups for exercise related activities, school volunteers, religious interests, military interests, bunco, tennis, home-based businesses, girl scouts, and boy scouts. There was free finger food and most tables had a bowl of candy as well. Groups were handing out bookmarks, pens, etc. One gave me 4 pkgs of microwave popcorn!
There was a message on our room phone that our reservation is being extended, so we don't have to find another motel for the weekend. This is very good news. It also means that we have to have our key cards re-keyed for the extended stay. Well, I got mine rekeyed, but then Michele's didn't work. So she got hers re-keyed, then mine didn't work. I got mine re-re-keyed, then Chris's didn't work. Finally Chris took all three cards downstairs. They canceled them and made three new ones and now they all work.
Although I still haven't any pictures on the computer to share with you, I did dream about having one. In my dream my father-in-law and I completely re-vamped my old Oldsmobile with used chair parts and painted it wild colors. I was planning to post the picture until I woke up and realized it never happened.
Today I will ride the subway for the first time. I hear that they seldom talk on the train and that Koreans,as a rule, don't use checks, so they carry credit cards and sacks of cash. I have to see this for myself. I have heard it is a safe city, and it must be if lots of people carry sacks of cash on the subway.
I have also heard that 20% of Koreans have the family name Kim. They use the family name first, followed by their individual name. So Kim This and Kim That could be brothers. If you want to get lots of attention, yell 'Mr. Kim' in Korea. They also put the direct object at the beginning of the sentence, although I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule. But "Ot gam bo yeo ju dah" is 'fabric show me'. Well, it make sense - fabric is the most important word in the sentence.
Late last night we called the states to get a copy of my eye prescription. They wouldn't e-mail it, only fax it. I guess I don't understand why, when e-mail is free and faxing overseas is not. But Chris has a fax machine in his office so I hope he has it by now. I want to be able to see all this cool new stuff I am being introduced to!

1 comment:

Kay A. said...

Hey Fern!
Just wanted you to know that your fabric is safe and being very lovingly taken care of! I even sorted and categorized all of your scraps. I look at them daily and remind myself THEY BELONG TO FERN! In case you've been keeping track of the weather over here, we did not get the horrible rain that Charlotte did, so no flooding...fabric is safe! Have you bought tons of fabric yet? We miss you at the guild. Everyone says "hey". Post pics when you can.
Kay