Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What's the opposite of progress?

Some would say 'congress'. I would say staying in bed for a day and a half unable to do more than rollover, and then only very very carefully.
Monday morning I was feeling a little better, so I went to the second of the two-day Welcome to Korea class. I missed Friday afternoon due to the pain, but Chris says they didn't do much because somebody left an unmarked package by the front door and they evacuated everybody. Turned out to be a box of paper towels. The Monday class was the most interesting because we learned some Korean customs and language (and history...). We were dismissed for lunch then came back for a bus tour of the base. That was very interesting and am glad I did even though Chris thinks it set me back. What set me back was trying to get to the ACS building and back during a 10 minute break. But that was worth it too, because now I have a date with a new friend to go fabric shopping on Friday. I hear there are 4 buildings with 5 stories each of fabric, trims, etc. And the fabric runs about $3 a yard. I may never come back! I will get to use my favorite Korean phrase - Ot gam bo yeo ju dah (show me the fabric).
Monday was also Michele's first day of school. She has 4 classes each day, every other day for a total of 8 classes. She came back to the room for lunch. Well, just long enough to grab leftovers from the fridge and whirl back out saying something like "I have people to eat with." We shouted "we love you" after her but she was gone. Yesterday she had PE and kicked something hard and hurt her foot. It was better this morning, but now her abs hurt from the sit-ups and her arms ache from the push-ups.
There is only one cafeteria for three schools (elementary, middle and high). The highschool kids can eat where ever they want in 50 minutes. They can get food here at Dragon Hill Lodge, at Burger King or the fried chicken place. There is also a Snack Shack somewhere on school property. The big problem is that the school is on one side of the main thoroughfare and the eating places are on the other. Traffic is required to stop for pedestrians at all crosswalks, so you can imagine the backup at lunch time. Also, all kids on post are required to walk to school. No problem for Michele because our hotel is right across the street. There are buses that go to surrounding apartment areas to pick up kids who don't live on post, ie. civilian dependents.
We will get an apartment close to the commissary gate, because we don't have a vehicle. Speaking of which, although I haven't been inside, from the outside I'd say the commissary is bigger than Wal-Mart!
Thursday there will be a big gathering here at the hotel of all the interest groups one can join.
It only happens once a year so I am saving my energy to be sure I can attend.

No comments: