Saturday, October 11, 2008

Columbus Day celebration


Friday I left the apartment early to check out the running club. But I missed the bus "by THAT much" as Maxwell Smart would say. So, as I would have to run to get there on time, and then run to catch up, I decided to run to the commissary and back, since we needed food anyway. I spent the rest of the day working in my sewing room, adapting the patterns I brought, to work with the fabric I bought. I read the SQG newletter. Such fond memories I have of them. In there it said that they sent me a card. Now I have that to look forward to. I also did laundry, washing the sheet my friend Tina so graciously bestowed upon me after she heard my sob story about commissary sheets, and the twin bed sheet we have stretched across our double bed. If you know anybody moving to Korea, tell them to bring sheets. The Koreans have thinner mattresses, which they zip into a sheet-like case. So there are no sheet sets for sale at the markets.
Saturday was a lazy day. Basically we read, watched a DVD and sat at the computer. I looked up Korean words from a flyer that the gas company left. It was somewhat tedious, but I have a good idea of the Korean alphabet now and how syllables are formed.
Later, Michele and I walked to post and took a bus to the Dragon Hill Lodge. She was going to Homecoming, like a dance, I guess. I helped her primp in the bathrooom and then we proceeded to the lobby. After she spotted some friends, she told me I could go. Humph! So I walked by the Octoberfest, this being it's last day. Last week we had seen a large delicious-looking waffle cone with icecream, strawberries and whipped cream. I thought about getting one tonight but had just had supper, so I went to the Columbus Day celebration instead. It was dark by the time I got there. A little crowded, but not badly so. I was just in time for the 8th Army Band. Now, doesn't that make you think of marches, and patriotic music? But no, it was a small combo with electric guitars that played hard rock. And something I called 'noise with a beat". (That could be a name for a rock band!) After the band played, the firewarks started. Now, THAT is what I came for. I have never been so close to fireworks in my life. In fact,I have to wash the ash out of my hair. It was exciting, though. Then, because the wind was blowing (thank goodness because the smoke had gotten pretty thick), and I was cold, I ran home. Well, off and on, anyway. Chris is now out meeting Michele at the gate. I hope she had a good time.

No comments: