Saturday, October 4, 2008

...Octoberfest


Friday I met Chris and his coworkers for lunch. We ate at a Katusa snack bar. 'Katusa' stands for something like Korean Augmentation to the US Army. Anway, they serve Korean food. We ordered the Young Radish dish and the Curry Chicken. The chicken dish was better. Both came with radish slices in water, and beansprout soup. Oh, and 3 kinds of kimchi.
Saturday, Michele took the SAT. She wasn't registered to take it, but for a fee could be on standby. It was a 5 hour test. She thinks she did well. While she was doing that, I washed the dishes, and vacuumed the floors. Then Chris and I went by his office to drop pff a can of sugar. We passed under the bridge where there was supposed to be a flea market, but only one person was set up. Then we hit the library, returning books and DVD's and checking out more. The we walked to the Gallery, where I picked up my new glasses. Can you belive it, bifocals? I wore them while we went to the PX, and then to the bus stop. But had to take them off then because I was getting queasy. We were home for awhile, Michele got back a few hours later (she and her friends had some post-SAT celebration at Baskin Robbins). Then we met some friends at the Dragon Hill Lodge for Octoberfest.
There was a BIG tent, with many tables and chairs. We lined up for German food, which was ok, but the pretzels were the best. Our table got a pitcher of beer. Recorded music was playing for awhile, then the 8th Army Band showed up. They were very good. At one point, three trombonists paraded around playing Lassus Trombone, a piece my father used to play for me. Then, they had arm-wrestling, first for the men , then for the women. After that, waltzing. But a little too fast for rubber-soled shoes on concrete. Anway, we left soon because it was VERY noisy and my eyes were smarting due to all the people taking flash pictures. I wish I had remembered my camera. We walked over to the main bldg to use the restrooms and discovered that fireworks were playing over the Han river. You couldn't hear them inside the tent. I stopped to watch because I LOVE fireworks.
(P.S. I also love getting e-mails from the people back in the states.)

2 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Fern, I am still (silently) enjoying the account of your adventures in Korea. Not sure if I have a good email address for Korea, so I'll just post this comment.
You'll get accustomed to your bifocals soon--I speak from experience!
God bless you all,
Gail DeBurgh

Fern said...

Thanks, Gail, for the reassurance about the bifocals. I really need it.
Fern