Monday, October 13, 2008

Seoul Tour


Yesterday was Sunday. Rick and Nancy provided us with transportation to and from the church. Chris and I made a commissary run. Later the three of us went to the library, then over to Burke Towers where a co-worker of Chris asked Michele to babysit. They were going out with friends, and the friends had kids, too. So Michele sat for 3 kids for 5 hours. She called at 1 am to have Chris meet her at the commissary gate and walk her home. Of course that woke me up, and I couldn't go back to sleep. I kept thinking that they should have driven her home. It would only have taken another 2 minutes at that time of night. However, the next morning I found out that they offered to drive her all the way home and she refused, to save them some trouble.
So today we had a tour, complete with tour bus that picked us up on post and tour guide. We visited Seoul Tower, which has a 360 degree observation deck. Each of the many windows has the names of world cities that that window faces and how far away they are. I took a picture of the New York window.
Then we visited a restored traditional Korean noble village. The rooms were very small to conserve heat, and the cooking fires heated tunnels under the floors as well.
After that, we walked to a nearby Korean restaurant. We had three kinds of kimchi, seaweed, broccoli, bean sprouts, spinach, something chicken-like, eggplant, something suspiciously like rice jello, and the main course, beef with veggies, noodles, and mushrooms. Most of it I liked. I want my parents to know that I ate some of everything on the table.
After lunch we walked to an ALPHA store. It was kinda an art, office and convenience store. Since I had just been thinking the day before about how to find one because they were recommended, it was amazing to find myself there without any effort on my part. Then we went to the 63 building, so named because of its 63 floors, once the tallest building in Seoul. First we went to the 63rd floor in a glass enclosed elevator. I had to close my eyes to avoid dizziness. That floor was an observation deck also. It held an exhibition of Hello Kitty art. Then we proceeded to the basement where Sea World was located. We saw fish, reptiles, anemones, sea lions, manta rays, etc. Very very cool. And then we came back to post. I don't know who paid for the tour, but it was free to us the passengers. And I would definitely recommend it.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Well...I have been gone for two weeks and have caught up with your blog enteries today (Oct. 14). You have certainly become acclimated to the area and involved with new friends. I am happy about that . Your blog has taken on a whole new attitude. I was away at a quilt retreat in Banner Elk with Rosemary's quilt room group. We had a ball. The words, "What happens in Banner Elk stays in Banner Elk!" We went to quilt stores and mostly sewed and did silly games. This past week Bob and I met some of his kids and my brother and his wife at Pawley's Island to enjoy the fellowship, and fishing and crabbing out the back door.
I am really enjoying learning about your adventures in Korea!!!
Pat