Wednesday, April 15, 2009

**Second Day in Paradise**








Andrea came over to sew. We had a good time, even got some blocks done. I promised her I'd finish them because she had a Dr. appointment. Then I was going to go onpost, but it was raining. So I finished the blocks, and then Michele was home. Then Chris. I showed him the yellow spot in the gums under my front bottom teeth. It hurts, but he says its nothing to worry about. Reading my e-mail, I find an invitation to sell quilted items at the next AWC meeting. They would have to be something I can make a lot of, fast. Hmmm. Then, I got on Facebook, and two friends were chatting at the same time. When one hung up, yet another came on. I'm feeling popular.
***Second Day in Paradise***
Today's wakeup call is at 5:45, set by our tour guide. We have to be ready, packed and checked out by 7:15. While we are eating (7am) our waitress tells us the van is waiting. We scramble to finish, and find a note from Tina. I dashed off a reply, and we board the van. The driver seems frantic, picking up people at other hotels, but we arrive at the dock by 8am. We board the boat and wait 30 minutes to sail. So why the hurry? Announcements are given in Thai, then in English in a British accent. After an hour ride, we drop most passengers off on a pier on the main PHiPhi island. Then we go off to another island to moor and swim by the boat. I got stung by nettles so I don't swim long. I try to dry my sarong on the way to the next island (Longbeach) for the buffet lunch. We sit in the shade afterwards because we didn't bring the suntan lotion. Later we sail back to the main pier and get off with our luggage. We see lots of noisy tourists buying stuff. We ask about PhiPhi Villa and a man with a boat offers us a ride if we go in the next ten minutes. So for less than $10 we ride to the next beach and he lets us off and sails away to avoid rocks at low tide. Chris finds the hotel and we lug our stuff up there. At the desk, they give us fruit drinks. We are led through cute streets of villas.Seeing vinca makes me homesick. Villa #135 looks like a little house, but is only a bedroom and a shower. We have two twin beds and they bring a cot for Michele. The blanket looks like a large dusty towel. I insist on a clean blanket and a towel for Michele. Chris stays in the room while Michele and I go to the pool. But after 20 minutes she leaves. Soon, I do too, but I get lost among the villas. When I get there, Michele is laying down, so Chris and I go for a walk. Low tide makes a BIG sandbar and we see sea stars, two male crabs fighting over a female (the victor carries her off), clams walking with their one foot, a sea urchin, baby eels, clam necks, coral, etc. When we get back, we tell Michele what we saw and lie down for awhile. At 6 we get up, dress, and walk the streets to choose a restaurant, but most don't open until 7. We do find one, however, and eat there. It takes a long time, because it is hard to get the waitress' attention. We see cats and geckos there. Walking back after dark, we stop to look at sarongs. I got a very nice one for 300 baht. The next dealer wants more, so I settle for the one. At the hotel desk, I ask for washcloths. I am not sure she understood. Chris thinks she doesn't have enough for everyone. I think she meant no one had one. She tells us to go to the minimart, but they didn't have any. Chris wonders why I need one anyway. We are back in the room by 8. Chris reads, I write, then we all sleep.

1 comment:

Gwenda said...

Paradise is right... Wow! Beautiful place! What a blessing for you to experience all of this!