Thursday, September 11, 2008

Friday

Whoo-hoo! Its here! The first shipment has arrived! It is so nice to have our own sheets and towels. And couch pillows! I didn't know how much I would miss couch pillows. Michele is thrilled to have her bookbag. How the transportation people went from thinking it would come on the 25th to telling us on the 10th that they would deliver it on the 11th, I don't know. Maybe our furniture will be early, too.
Besides taking delivery of our smaller shipment, I volunteered at the thrift shop on post. I was one of four new volunteers. I must admit I'd been feeling like a second-class citizen because we are civilians, and not entitled to all the perks the military get, such as health care on post. But there is another class of people who are Americans, but can't use the Commissary, Px, etc. Some can't even get on post w/o being signed in. But their husbands work here, I think. This I found out at the thrift shop where a number of them volunteer. If they volunteer at least 20 hours a month, they can get a pass to get on post.
I also found out that there is another quilt group that meets off-post, not associated with the base. That is all I konw about them so far, but plan to join the group anyway.
Chris and I investigated the recycling center in back of the building. It seems they recycle cans, plastic, cardboard, probably paper (couldn't see into that container) and food scraps. Yes, food scraps. What a pleasant aroma that was.
But it is good news since it will reduce our garbage production, and garbage is paid for by the sale of gov't approved bags, which are nearly $1 apiece.
After that, we watched one of our DVD's on our TV. It was so nice. They have cable TV here, but not the channels you'd get in the states.

1 comment:

Pat said...

...talking about quilts...the judging for our show was done on 9/11. I will send you pictures...I have been taking picture since people brought their quilts to the Whole Nine Yards.
Pat