Monday, September 22, 2008

Quilting Off-Post


Today was quilting day for both groups. Pam picked me up at 9:15 and we joined the first group. We worked on baby quilts for a little less than 2 hours, then packed up and went to lunch. Usually they bring food, but since one member is leaving, we went to the Dragon Hill Lodge for lunch. I got the chicken terriyaki but couldn't finish it. So I tried to call Chris, who works nearby, to come eat the rest. But then my friend suggested I ask Michele, who sits with her friends at the Dragon Hill Lodge atrium to eat lunch. She accepted.
I met Nancy (my contact for the other group) in front of the DHL after lunch. She had a friend who showed us what bus to ride. We went farther out than I've ever been. We stopped at a French sandwich and dessert shop (just 'cause it is worth seeing, see pic). Then we walked. Uphill. Eventually we reached a place, and went inside. Turns out my friend had never been to the quilting group herself. So we were both new. Basically we sat around discussing our individual quilting projects, offering suggestions and advice. These ladies were interested in joining the on-post group to make baby quilts. It is now my job to find out if they are eligible.
Later we broke up, each one going in a different direction. So I was on my own to walk back. They suggested taking a bus or the subway, but I wanted to see what there was to see.
The first place I stopped was a Quik-Mart type place. I bought what looked like tomato juice. It wasn't V8, but it was satisfactory. Then I walked. It was the district for buying antiques. Very interesting places. I stopped at one and bought a jade bracelet to replace the one Michele dropped. Then, I walked. I passed restaurants of French, Arabian, Spanish, Thai, Japanese and Chinese. Then I came to a department store, or so it seemed. The person behind each counter was the proprietor for that counter. Although I hadn't intended to buy anything, I came out with 2 more jade bracelets (better than the first and 1/3 the price) and matching earings and necklace. That was the first floor. I investigated all four floors and only added a black tank top to my purchases. That was another story, with the salesperson insisting one was cotton, when I knew it wasn't. I did hold out for a cotton one and eventually got what I wanted.
A little more walking brought me to the place where Chris and I ate the spicy beef soup and hydrangea (sesame) leaves. At that time, we had turned off the main route and wandered alley ways until we had found our way back. But with shopping bags, I thought it might not be safe. So I stuck to main roads, but not the same ones I was familiar with. More antuque stores. It did occur to me that I could get lost, but that didn't happen. I arrived exactly where I expected to and returned home without incident.

No comments: