Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weekend

First, I have to tell you what I was told on Friday as we passed the local hospital. It seems nursing care is limited, so at mealtimes you can see patients in their gowns and IV poles walking out of the hospital to go to lunch. I'd heard before that families had to bring food to their loved ones in the hospital, but, can you imagine, getting out of your bed, grabbing your IV pole, and heading for the nearest restaurant?
Now for Saturday. The electricity was out on South Post from 8 to 4. They are replacing the electrical grid. So the thrift shop had a $2 sale, outside. Just clothes and shoes. But I picked up a few tank tops and a skirt. I had a nice chat with the other thrift shop volunteers. Then I headed for the library. I stopped at the children's center to use their restroom. I mention this because as I was coming out, the lady asked me if I was looking for a job. It was rather unexpected. She said they were severely shorthanded and urged me to apply. I'll think about it.
At the library I picked up two books, read for awhile, then took the bus back to the commissary gate. Chris visited the library while I was at the thrift shop, and brought back 5 DVD's. So we watched DVD's for the rest of the day. (Drives me nuts)
Sunday we went for a long walk to the Chocolatier featured in a previous post. Too bad indoor pictures aren't allowed. They had all sorts of lunch and dessert delicasies. And they were very busy. We stood for some time waiting for a place to sit. When we found one, we enjoyed our food and spied another couple waiting for a table and invited them to join us. Turns out they are from Germany, been here a week, working at a large hospital. (I hope that hospital serves lunch)

No comments: