Friday, February 25, 2011

The All-Day Quilt with a surprise

Originally I was going to help Judy quilt one of her tops. But she called to cancel, so I did one of my own. Before I went over there, I pieced some batting and laid it out on my bed to make sure it was big enough. When I went to the AnC center, I quickly oiled the machine, and loaded my backing, batting, and top. My plan was to baste the heck out of it all over before beginning to quilt. I wanted to make sure every seam was straight. When I got down to the last row, I realized that the backing was about 10 inches too short. I had a few choice words to say - which I will not repeat here. Nevertheless, I quilted all the blocks up to that row, and then went back and quilted the borders with the same element I used to make the quilting pattern on the blocks. It took me from 11 to 6. I must say, the machine ran great. No tension troubles, no weird sew-outs, dropped stitches, etc. Only operator error. When I left, I had to take it with me to sew on more backing. I told the ladies at the front desk why I hadn't finished, and they said they couldn't believe I would make such a mistake. I couldn't believe it either. So I came home, had supper, juiced the veggies from last week and made popsicles with some of it. The rest I drank. Then I set up my sewing machine in the kitchen, and cleared as much of the table as I could. I pinned a new strip onto the quilt backing, and asked if anyone had a moment to help. I nearly fell over when Michele casually said 'ok' and put down her laptop. She held the quilt while I sewed. It was not fun or easy sewing. But I finished with her help. And I was able to press it, so it is ready to finish quilting tomorrow afternoon. Finally I listened to the two new tapping audios for today. Now it is past time for bed.
* Here is one of the winning quilts in Tokyo. Can you see the odd man out? *

No comments: