Friday, February 18, 2011

Big quilt = big problem?

I checked e-mail, had breakfast and showered by 9:15. I made it to the AnC center by 9:30 with my king-size quilt top, batting, and backing. While waiting for Cathy, I oiled the machine, turned on the computer and did a little dusting. When she arrived, we decided on a pattern, loaded the backing, then batting (might not be big enough), and finally the top. The pattern I picked was a bit dense, but I need the quilt to be sturdy enough so Chris and I can fight over it in the middle of the night. Actually, it should be big enough that we won't NEED to fight for covers. But I digress. Cathy stayed for the first row and part of the second. She left for lunch and came back after I started the third row. I told her I was fine and she needn't stick around. But just before that row was finished, it ran out of bobbin thread. I put another bobbin in. The machine began quilting again, and then there was this loud noise, the bobbin flew out, burnt rubber filled the air as I hit the 'stop' button. The needle was broken and it had made a cut in the top. I tried to put it all back together again, but it wasn't working. So I called Cathy. She got out the manual, and we tried a few things, but it wasn't enough. At least three people from the AnC center also tried. This young soldier came by, and he read the manual too. Then, all together they got it up and running. But he made the last adjustment that made it sound right. By then it was almost 6pm. Ms. Kim helped me load the quilt back into the machine. I forgot to mention that I spent the afternoon hand-stitching more batting to the end. Also wondering if I was going to have to go into hiding for breaking the longarm. Not that I was afraid of what the garrison would do. They have probably blown up more expensive things. It's the other quilters I have to worry about. Especially Judy. We tease Sue about being a terrorist, but I secretly think Judy is more likely.
Anyway, Cathy and I left the quilt unfinished and will return tomorrow. The young man is coming back as well to see the machine in action.

No comments: