Sunday, February 13, 2011

Peelings....nothing more than peelings...

I was up way too late typing yesterday's post, so got up late this morning and missed church. I spent the day trying to catch up on e-mail, and did some sewing. Far more interesting is what we did last Sunday:

The hotel was not quiet at night. Kids ran back and forth. Adults did too, by the sound of it. Chris pulled the curtains shut to create the darkness I prefer for sleeping. But it seemed like daylight crept in all too soon. The bed was hard, so I got up when I finally couldn't stay in bed anymore. It was only 7:15. We took showers and dressed for breakfast. The hotel had given us breakfast coupons which we used at the restaurant to have the buffet. So much of the spread was refined carbs. I had the salad (lettuce, tomato, and cucumber), one sausage ball, a piece of fried fish, and 4 sunny side up eggs. After breakfast we took a walk through the complex. Chris pointed out bugs and unusual plant life. We saw a garden with onions, eggplant and possibly vanilla beans. I discovered that the summery shoes I brought were too tight, so I soaked them in the foot wash. When we got back to our room, we dressed for the beach and went to the lobby to get a shuttle to the hotel's private beach. The open-air lobby was filled with people whom we thought were in line ahead of us. But when the shuttle came, only one other couple got on it. The beach wasn't far away. But our hotel only had part of the beach. The beach chairs belonged to a different hotel who had a guard. He would not let us use the chairs even though they were empty. There were very few people to be seen. The water was a beautiful sea foam green. I went in to play with the waves. They were strong and the seabed sloped so I couldn't go far. Michele played in the surf but decided it was too cold to go in. When she went back up, Chris came down to the water. One of them stayed with our stuff at all times. Sometimes I was alone in the water. When I tired of that, I found my family laid out on towels, looking like they were sleeping. I sat with them for awhile, then took a walk down the beach. It came to an end where a high rock jutted into the sea. That was the public part of the beach, and there were stalls selling things made of shells, coconuts, and even flipflops. I really wanted a pair, but the man asked for 1200 pesos ($30). And I didn't bring any money. Later it occurred to me that I could have bartered (and gotten money from Chris). It was about 11:20 when I returned to the private beach. There were itinerant vendors that walk up and down the beach selling shell necklaces. At one point I emerged from the ocean to see my husband sharing his towel with a lovely young Philippine woman. But she was just there to sell boat trips, and other watersport activities. She told us what zorba riding was, and Chris said I couldn't go. At noon a shuttle arrived to take us back to the hotel. We went to the pool area to shower off and try out the Infinity Pool. The water felt cool, but I was able to work my way in. Then we went back to the room to change for lunch at the hotel restaurant. The place was almost empty and little birds came to pick at crumbs under the tables. I ordered tilapia, and they gave me a whole fish. I covered its head with a spoon as I dug into the flesh. Then Chris cut off the head and put it on his plate. As we ate, I began to feel my skin burn, even though we were inside. I was getting redder and she and Chris turned more of a magenta. We went back to the room. I stuffed my tight shoes so they would stretch as they dried. We fell asleep. When I awoke, I was redder than a lobster, and my skin burned and itched. I wrote in my notebook to catch up on my blog. When Chris woke up, he turned on Animal Planet. It took me hours to catch up on my blog with the TV on. I wondered what we could do tomorrow to stay out of the sun. Around 7 we went to the hotel restaurant for supper. There were no other places we could walk to from our hotel because it was well out of town. On the way there, we saw a gecko. There were lots of them, and most are about finger length. But we named this one Geckozilla because of his size - closer to a foot long.
When we reached the restaurant, we weren't really hungry. I ordered the fruit platter. Michele ordered the luglug because Chris had it for lunch and she liked it. It was at least half an hour later when the waitress came back to tell Michele that there was no more luglug (pasta). So she changed her order, and we continued to wait. Our food came first and we were finished well before her meal came. While we were waiting, we got engrossed in the movie playing on the wall screen. It was "Old Dogs" with John Travolta and Robin Williams. Our check came during a commercial break. We went back to our room to finish watching it. It was followed by "The Spy Next Door" with Jackie Chan. We love Jackie Chan. Someone set off fireworks across the hill, and I stood on our balcony for awhile to watch them. Before bed, my skin was burning like crazy and I was looking for something to put on it. All I had was soap and toothpaste. The toothpaste had tea tree oil in it, so I put some on my arm and added a little water to it to thin it.It felt good, so I gave some to Michele, too. Then we went to bed.

No comments: