Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SIWA Internation fair (Seoul International Women's Association)

Today we went to the SIWA International Fair at the Grand Hilton, downtown. It was a frosty morning as we waited for the hotel bus to pick up a lot of us in Itaewon. The conference center at the hotel was warmer. There were many countries represented. Each had at least 2 tables. There they wore costumes reminiscent of their country and sold handmade products, like clothing, jewelry or food. Some gave out samples. There was also musical entertainment. In another room, many countries were selling hot foods. We had the chicken and dried fruit entree over rice. It was good, but I can't remember which country it was from. I got to practice my French at the FRANCE tables. I didn't get any French food because all they were selling was bread. But I did get some blueberry/blackberry confiture at their table in the other room.
While waiting for the return bus, we could see our breath in the air. We didn't spend much because the stuff we really liked was really expensive. Oh well. It was another day out and a trial for my new black pants. They fit much better than the last pair. I guess I am learning.
I was supposed to meet Tina at the fair, but we didn't run into each other. She called when she got home, and we arranged to spend the evening at her house making quilts for a friend of hers. This friend had started the first of three quilts to give as Christmas gifts, then got a job and couldn't finish it. Tina feels somehow responsible, so I am helping her finish them. Good thing we are going to Dongdaemun Wednesday because we need more backing and border fabric. Did I mention that her friend is just learning to sew? Finishing that quilt top was a challenge! The next two ought to be easy.

No comments: