Thursday, November 13, 2008

Where's the denim?


Wednesday night I had finished another quilt top, all except for the corners, which I put on Thursday morning. I am not sure when I will get to quilt this one. It may be the second in a series of three.
I took a bus to meet Tina at the middle school. She met me there with her dog, saying that she'd stopped by the thrift shop and no one answered despite the doors being open and the lights on. So the two of us walked back to check. Tina was afraid we'd find someone dead on the floor, but I walked in calmly and checked it out. All lights on, computer on, no one anywhere. So we went to Tina's house since she lives next to Gerry, who kinda runs the thrift shop. On the way, Tina pointed out a grill that had been standing out for a few days. She assured me that the owners had moved, leaving it behind. So I helped her carry it back to her house.
She showed me around, then we knocked on Gerry's door to tell her about the thrift shop, and walked from there to the subway.
Where were we going? Why, Dongdaemun of course. Tina had a long list of things she wanted to get. We got a few impulse purchases also. I wanted to get some more denim. It was so obvious last time. Aisles and aisles of it. But this time we were lucky to find one place. We couldn't remember what floor it was on. We searched and searched. I got hungry and tired, but on we went. We did finally find one place, each of us purchased two yards, then went in search of food. We settled on a tiny sit-down restaurant in a small tent on the edge of a street. One of many. We had kimbop (mmm), and some kind of soup, and a spicy chicken conglomerate. For napkins, they had a roll of toilet paper hung on the wall.
Then we checked out the undergarments building. Huge! I won't describe our purchases. We went back to the fabric bldg and stumbled upon stabilizer. Tina bought the whole roll for 10,000 won! Over three feet high and 6 inches in diameter. She then went in search of serger thread. She got 20+ spools. We had quite a haul to carry home on the subway. During the ride we agreed that one day we should throw a dart at the subway map and just go there.
She had her husband meet us at the post gate. He drove me to my gate then they went home. I was so happy not to have to walk all the way! I spent the evening watching Hogan's Heroes episodes and washing the fabrics I had bought. Just too tired to quilt. Stay tuned for Friday when I get more won, mail a package, and we go off on another adventure.

No comments: