Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Potatoes and rolls

This morning after packing Michele's lunch and seeing them off, I got started making a sweet potato casserole, the traditional Reber Thanksgiving dish. The Korean sweet potatoes are not orange inside, although they are sweet. After boiling them, peeling them and mashing them (since the potato masher didn't get shipped, I put them in the mixer), they were a green mush. Hmmm. Well, undaunted I finished the recipe and baked the casserole. Tomorrow we shall taste the results.
I also baked the traditional Grammy's Rolls that the Damour family eats each Thanksgiving. They took longer than I had planned because I thought they weren't rising. Also I was running out of butter and had to stretch it to get all the rolls made. While waiting for the rolls to rise, I cleaned Michele's bathroom, the kitchen, and swept the floors. That's one of the great things about having company - it motivates me to pick up and clean like I ought, but don't usually take the time to do. On the other hand, by the time they arrive I am usually worn out from cleaning.
Hyon arrived exactly on time, and brought me a rosemary plant. We looked at her chosen design and the fabric she'd brought. Since it was already cut, she needed to buy more. So she suggested we just pop on down to Dongdaemun. Just like that! Having her own driver made it easy. She even had him stop along the way to look for PVC. He was really good at driving through traffic. I couldn't watch. But we made it. Then she and I picked out fabric. She also bought a rotary cutter and ruler. On the way back it was getting dark and the city turned its lights on. Oh what brilliant displays! I hope they are not just for Christmas.
The rest of the evening was spent watching movies.
P.S. I am now on Facebook thanks to my cousin Gwenda. Anybody want to join me?

2 comments:

Gwenda said...

I haven't been doing much on facebook lately. Are you having fun with it?

Fern said...

Not really. There are a lot of things you can send people if you are bored and have nothing to do - virtual ornaments, virtual plants, karma, snowballs, etc. But I do have other things to do. I guess I am on Facebook so people from my past can find me.