Friday, November 7, 2008

Dongdaemun AND Namdaemun


Thursday Pam and I went to Dongdaemun, to find various things for our stocking exchange. In December each of us makes and decorates a stocking to exchange. Well, we made the rounds, examining yards of trim, beads, laces, etc. Then, thoroughly tired, we decided to check out Namdaemun, a marketplace. Well, it wasn't on Pam's subway map. But one of the stations on our way back was circled, so we said "Hey, let's go there". It turned out to be Namdaemun. We didn't stay very long because of the purchases we were toting. But I did get TWO packages of rice cakes.
Friday I stayed home to make the stocking. According to the directions, you decorate it first, then sew the two halves together, WRONG sides together, then do an overcast stitch. Well it came out very elegant (burgundy and green silk), but the edging looked terrible. I was so mad. I didn't want to do the project in the first place, and now it had eaten the entire day, was unnecessarily complicated by the 'curly toe' feature, and looked raggedy. So, I gave it a reason to fray. I lined both sides of the edge with green silk, and clipped it every 1/2 inch or so. Turned out ok.
Oh, Chris called me to meet him at work as he had a large package to carry home. It turned out to be the sewing machine I ordered.
My new blue pants now have company: blue underwear and blue shoelaces. Add that to my blue hands and socks. Why aren't my legs blue?

1 comment:

Pat said...

To the BLUE WOMAN...Bob is concerned about the blue "It can't be healthy.?!" We are visiting the Philadelphia area and have a lot of time on our hands...as you can tell I am reading some passages outloud to Bob. We are both happy you are so much involved...Went to a quilt class in Hiddenite last week and worked with silk charmuese and organza leaves (on a foundation pieced cotton backgound). My son is picking us up tomorrow and taking us to north Jersey. I am SO THRILLED that you did some applique.
Pat