Saturday, May 20, 2017

Leaving port

I washed my outfit in the sink, wrung it out and hung it in the shower area. Then I fell asleep without the ipod. I got up once to use the bathroom, and went back to sleep. I woke up at 6 40. We washed up and got dressed. At 7 I knocked on Michele and Marie's door. They came out and we went to breakfast. Al and Cecily were already there. Two ladles asked if they could join us. We got plates to circumnavigate the breakfast buffet. There was chitchat as we ate. We learned about the two ladles. Then we retired to our rooms to brush our teeth and get ready. On the way, we stopped at the reception desk to pick up passes. Our family met in the lobby at 8. We walked the passageway to the buses. When everyone had arrived, the buses took off. Our guide spoke all the way to the museum. When the bus had parked, we filed off and into the museum. We followed the guide around as he pointed out the details of the items found in Marquis Yi's tomb. Then we saw the Hubei bells, the world largest bronze musical instrument. He gave us 20 minutes of free time. I followed Cecily to the restroom. Then we looked around for a bit. I ducked in to the gift shop and wished I had more time there. I met Chris out front. The group walked to another building with an auditorium. There was a concert involving a replica of the bells, plus an ancient flute, panpipes, a set of marble chimes, drums, and some horizontally strung instruments.
After the concert, we boarded the buses and went back to the ship. We had to turn in our passes to show we were back. We went to our room. I hung my wet clothes outside on the chairs on our balcony. They were not drying in the room. I read for a while and then we went to lunch. The ship took off for the next port.
We were joined by the same two ladies as last night. Most people were in line for the salad bar. We were given menus in case we wanted to order. There were two things that sounded equally good: the ginger carrot soup and the curried lamb ragout. So I ordered both. Michele raved about the spicy carp, so I went to the salad bar and got a small piece. I ate it while the others had dessert.
After lunch, I continued reading. But I fell asleep, though not for long.
Then there was a loud blare from the loudspeaker. We were instructed to put on our lifevests and meet in the hallway for inspection. So we got them from the closet and put them on. We met other similarly attired people in the hallway. After inspection, we went to the dining room where we were given safety info. Then we took off our vests and stowed them back in our closets.
Michele came to our room to talk to Chris. I went to the observation lounge for the doctor's presentation on traditional Chinese medicine. Cecily and Al showed up, too. It was interesting, but I had heard most of the info before.
Afterward I went back to our room, where Michele and Chris were talking. I got my book and sunglasses. I went up to deck 6, thr highest one. I went outside to the seating area and read in the sun. After 4, I walked to the lounge on deck 5 to see Afternoon Tea. It did not seem special, so I went back to the room. I started typing up my blog on my tablet. Chris and Michele started watching a movie. I had just caught up, when my tablet gave me the low-battery sign. I brought in my clothes which were dry.
When it was time for the next event, we called Chris' parents but no one answered. We knocked on Marie's door, but she did not answer. Michele went in anyhow and said she was going to sit it out.So Chris and I proceeded to the observation lounge, and found the missing family there having champagne. In fact, we were handed flutes of champagne as we entered the lounge. The captain spoke and introduced some of the staff. Then 10 of them did a ballroom dancing routine, and drew in passengers as they danced. I hoped to be one chosen, but was too far away. Then the program director talked about the activities of tonight and tomorrow. It was almost time for dinner. I headed to Michele's room to tell her. But on the way I passed the tailor's shop. The lady was there by herself, sewing. I asked what she does with the scraps. She indicated the trash can. I asked if I could have them and she said yes. So I pulled the bigger pieces out and put them in my purse. She told me to come by every day. Then I knocked on Michele's door and announced dinner. She came out and we could see people surging toward the diningroom. So we went down and got in line. When they opened the door, we went to our usual table. We thought the others were close behind but did not see them. So I went upstairs to see if they were waiting for us. They were talking to the steward and complimenting him on his English. Soon we all trooped down to the dining room. There were menus, but we were told all the dishes were coming. So we waited, and indeed, one at a time, Chinese dishes were put on the rotating glass circle. I tasted some of them. The waiter brought me salmon with potatoes and a green vegetable. For dessert I got the fresh pineapple and the cheese platter. The platter was just two crackers, a long cube of goat cheese, a walnut and a candied something. I ate some of the cheese and gave the rest to Chris and Michele. After dinner we came back to the room. I worked on my blog until it was time for the painting demonstration. Then I went upstairs to the observation deck. People were sitting in the lounge chairs along the side of the deck and in folding chairs in the center. I sat there. A Chinese man told us how the brush strokes in calligraphy are the basis for Chinese painting. A lady interpreted everything he said. He did Chinese letters, and then a painting. We crowded around to watch. It was interesting, but after awhile, I left and let others take my place. I took some photos of paintings he had laid out for sale. Then I went down to the 4th deck. I passed the lady who translates for the tailor. She was just getting off work. So we started talking and then the tea lady joined us. The three of us had a marvelous time. Before end of work, they are not allowed to chat. Anyway, when Dyveen (her chosen English name) needed to go, then we broke up. When I got to our room, Chris was watching TV. He let me use the laptop to finish my blog. I laid the pieces of silk out to dry. Then I tried to post to my blog. There was no getting through so I just went to bed.
P.S. I have never drunk so much bottled water in my life. And note to self - don't look outside at the moving shore line while going up the steps. *

No comments: