Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The rest of the day


At 4:30, I went to the observation lounge for the presentation on recent Chinese history. It was interesting and not flowery like I expected. Cecily said she hoped there were not spies aboard who might arrest the MC for saying what he really thought.
From the observation lounge, I went to the front desk to check their lost-n-found to see if my fanny pack was there. No. I explained to them that I thought it might be on one of the buses we used recently. They said they would check with local guides. I went back to our room, but saw our guide James in the hallway. I told him I thought my fanny pack might be on one of the buses because it wasn't in my room. He asked which day it disappeared and I didn't know exactly, either Thursday or Friday. I went in my room to review the ship's daily paper. Michele was there and said she remembered me having it on Thursday. But I could not remember if I had it on Friday for the trip to the city wall. She checked the room and did not find it. She played 2048 while I did something. Then it was time for the port talk and disembarkation announcements. I went back to the observation lounge. Only Cecily and Marie were there from the family. We listened to the next day's activities. Then he talked about leaving the ship on Thursday, checking out, leaving gratuities, etc. Then we gathered with our groups to hear about what we were doing after leaving the ship. Our group is going to the zoo and then to the airport to fly to Xi'an. It was time for dinner so I went back to the room to collect Michele and check on Chris. He was up and feeling well, but did not want to risk eating. Michele and I went to the dining room. I saved places for the two ladies from Britain. We ordered from the menu. The Maitre D' came by to make sure I knew what to order that was gluten-free. I got the prawn appetizer and the sea bass without the sauce. Michele had been to the afternoon tea and, having eaten tiny sandwiches and pastries, was not
very hungry. She just ordered the cheese plate, which consisted of two blocks of cheese the size of a pink eraser, two crackers, a candied date, and a walnut. One cheese was blue cheese and the other was a Saint Raiten (or something like that), made by Tibetan monks. I tasted just a tiny morsel and it was good. But I had to avoid dairy products because they trigger hot flashes. My sea bass, when it came, was very good. So was the broccoli, but it was covered in butter.
So I let Michele and Marie have it, and I asked for some plain steamed broccoli. I had to point to the butter pats on the table and say 'no butter'. She nodded and presently returned with a plate of broccoli. But when I tasted it, it was buttery. Someone suggested it might be margarine. In any case, I did not eat further. I let others have it. After the meal, I went back to the room and asked Chris if he would like an apple. He said yes, so I went to the front desk which had 5 apples sitting on it and asked if I could have one for my husband. She said I could have them all. I picked up one with a tissue and carried it back. Since the tap water is not drinkable, I asked Chris if he wanted me to wash it and he said no. He was playing a game with Michele. They finished their game while I played 2048. After Michele left, I actually hit 2048 and continued to play for a bit. Then I looked through my pictures to see if I was wearing my fanny pack in any of them. I determined that I did not lose it on the trip to the museum. Then it was time to see the Chinese ladies and collect fabric.
I did not see them on the 4th deck, so I checked 3, 5 and 6. No luck. I went back to my room. I typed more of my blog and tried to post it. While waiting for a connection, I looked the for the girls again, but did not see them. I came back to the room and posted to my blog.

No comments: