Thursday, May 11, 2017

The meeting is finally over

Last night I listened to my sleep track on my tablet. I was not able to avoid the blue light from the screen, and perhaps that was why I did not fall asleep.
I woke up early, nervous about the FRG meeting later today. I did some mental programming and tapping, but the anxiety did not subside. It was just before 7:30 when I got up, to ask Chris which should come first – a vote or a request for someone to lead the activity being voted on. Ideally someone would make a motion that involves who would lead it, but the group has not been in the habit of making motions. I drank a quart of water and checked e-mail. I listened to an interview from the Microbiome Medicine Summit.
I oiled my hair. I read e-mail, and tried to consolidate my thoughts for the meeting. I wished for someone to propose motions during the meeting but did not know who to ask.
Dynee stopped by with Amber's unfinished apron. The pieces were all cut out so I just sewed on the pockets and the straps and the lining. I pressed it well, folded it and wrapped it in tissue paper. I had a gift bag left from something else. I vacuumed it out and put the gift in. Then I worked on a sign-up sheet, made several tries before I got just what I wanted. I made and ate breakfast.
Chris came home for lunch. He opened a box and took out a small laptop. That is when I found out that we are not taking our laptops or phones to China. When he explained all the things that could happen to them, I wondered if I really wanted to vacation in a place that such things were likely to happen.
He thought we could share the little laptop. I wanted my tablet at least.
I took a shower, washed the oil out of my hair. Chris had already gone back to work. As I was getting out of the shower, the door bell rang. I threw on a housecoat and met the guys who had come to check the AC. I got dressed while they did the other rooms.
After they left, I worked on my opening remarks. Then I walked out for my usual massage. I ran into Irene in town, so I was slightly late for my appointment. I changed clothes and started the music on my phone. Then I laid on the table. He came in and massaged my back and shoulders while I tried to relax. I knew I was obsessing about the meeting. when my mind was not deterred by him pressing his elbows into my ribs.
Afterward, dressed again, I showed him a calendar that I had printed out. I had marked today and June 1st, indicating that I would miss the next two weeks. He asked a question I did not understand but I suspected he thought I was going to America, so I said “China”. He acted impressed. I thanked him and wished him an enjoyable day.
Outside, I checked my phone for the message that had come in during the massage. It was from Dynee. I typed an answer and walked back to base. Kelsey texted from my house. She had arrived before I did. When I got there, I let her in and offered her a glass of water. She didn't need it, but I did. We went through the list of things I wanted to discuss with her. We chatted another minute and she left.
I ate a few leftovers for supper. Then I worked on my agenda some more. I typed it into my computer and printed it out. Chris came home from work just as I was putting on my shoes. I asked him to come along. We walked down to the chapel. It was locked, but the lights were on. I knocked and no one answered. Chris checked the other doors. I texted Dynee. Chris called someone who said they didn't have a key. And the chaplain was out of town for the week. But just then, Ms. Sung opened the door. She invited us to use the other classroom, the one we use for sewing. She said the rugs had just been cleaned in the other room.
So we walked through the sanctuary into the sewing classroom. The pews were gone and it was full of ugly green chairs. I remembered Ms. Sung showing us small blue kneelers a month ago. They were not going to match at all.
Maria came with her two kids. Because she was tall, she offered to write the agenda on the whiteboard. While she did that, I watched people come in. Kelsey came with another enlisted friend. Hewitt came, and the Antrams. Amber came and Dynee (who brought cookies). I passed out the sign-in sheet. Anna came in later.
When Maria handed back the agenda, I started the meeting. I thanked everyone, I presented Amber with a gift for having been president. I made the opening remarks that Chris suggested. Then we discussed the items on the agenda: No one wanted to be vice-president. Dynee volunteered to coordinate meals for new moms. The master chief agreed to tell sponsors to contact the FRG if they want support for the new families. There was some talk about what should go in a new family's basket. The basket would go to the sponsor. Fresh baked goods would be delivered later.
Then we talked about the Open Base event for July. The decision was to sell lemonade provided by CYP, and spaghetti and meatballs (after lots of discussion about how to do that.) We talked about mowing lawns for donations. Chief Hewitt said other groups were considering it too, but he didn't know if they would get any further than that. Then he had to leave. We did not get to the social or service activities. I quickly asked when we should meet next. We decided on June 15th and then the meeting was over. Kelsey and Maria stayed to talk. Rina told me that the CYP had a community service club for the kids and that they would like to help in any way. She gave me her contact info. Then Chris and I walked home. He made himself supper while I checked e-mail and jotted notes for my blog. When he was ready, we watched two episodes of Once Upon a Time. I followed him to bed, but did not stay because I had a skype call scheduled. But when I got back to check, she was not ready. I stayed up to finish my blog, thinking she might just reschedule. And she did. And I didn't mind because it was really late and I would rather go to bed.
* Here is a pic from the market on Monday *

No comments: