Sunday, February 24, 2019

Himself again

After posting to my blog last night, I went to help Dad get ready for bed. But he had already done his dentures and removed all his clothing, including the white tet hose. Still, he wanted to do a few last things and then I settled him into bed and covered him up. Then I got myself ready for bed and slept on the couch. I got cold in the middle of the night and grabbed a blanket from the cabinet.
In the morning, I heard Dad come out to the foyer. I got up to see what he wanted. He was dressed in regular clothes which he had put on all by himself. He spent some time putting on a belt and added all the things that go on it. I made breakfast and ate it while reading e-mail. I started repacking my suitcase and stuffed my pillow in. Dad had it in mind that he was going to the airport with me. Some of what he said did not make sense so I gave him some water to drink. While I was packing, Faye came over and we discussed how to rearrange the kitchen to make more room and allow him better access to the phone. I got Dad's car book and entered all the repairs and maintenance for the last two years. It was difficult because he had the maintenance and repairs under 10+ categories. But he still would not let me throw out the receipts. Then I pulled out my food from the fridge that I knew he wouldn't eat. I ate some of it as an early lunch and put an apple in my bag to eat at the airport. I ate some of the leftover cheese and gave some to Patrick. I finished packing my carry-on bag while Faye continued to sort things in the kitchen and Patrick looked through stuff, trying to be helpful. Then I had to pack up my laptop so I would be ready when William came to pick me up.
I counted the cash I had left. I gave Patrick some money, leaving some for Faye, but she wouldn't take any. It was after noon so I called William who said he was on his way. I brought my suitcase to the door. William took it out to the car while I got my other luggage to the door. I hugged Faye and Dad goodbye. Then got in Karen's car. She drove us to the airport and let me out at the terminal. William got my suitcase from the trunk and hugged me goodbye.
I rolled my luggage into the terminal and up an escalator. I used my passport to print boarding passes at the kiosk. I checked in my suitcase by 1. It took longer to go through Security. I had pulled out my laptop and tablet for them to scan, but they held my rolling suitcase aside to go through my food bag. I can't imagine what they were looking for. They also pulled out my water bottle. I was ok with them throwing it out, but wanted a swig first. He said I had to go back to the main airport lobby for that. Well, I wasn't going through Security twice! Then I walked to my gate and settled myself. I called Chris, and texted myself notes for my blog. Then I heard an announcement changing the gate so I moved to the new gate. Thinking about the stack of weekly inventory papers that Faye found, I came up with ERILOM: the Earl Reber Institute for Laborious Organizational Methods. I am sure they will want his 5 years worth of inventory and grocery lists.
Then it was time to board the plane. We sat for a bit. I did some tapping and slept through take-off. My ears hurt but not as much as the ride to Richmond. I did more tapping. A lady was bringing drinks and snacks to First Class passengers. I got 2 waters and a banana. I ate a piece of my own chocolate. In less than 2 hours we landed in Atlanta.
I had to ask the clerk to read the overhead screen for my next gate. I started out walking quickly, then decided I had plenty of time so I walked at an enjoyable pace, not a Chris pace. It was a long concourse but at least I did not have to change to another one. I stopped at the bathroom before finding myself a seat at the gate. I took a pic of the plane parked outside. I texted Chris an update. I was texting Faye when it was time to board.
As we sat waiting for take-off, the pilot stepped into view. He said we were 7 minutes from leaving the gate. He said we had an extra hour of fuel because we might have to circle Huntsville waiting for a storm to pass, but he hoped to get there before the storm did. However, due to a last-minute mechanical fix, we left late. I was so ready to be home that I had a hard time thinking positive thoughts. But the trip had an amazing view. We were between cloud layers, and could see the setting sun and some blue sky in the distance. It was like floating over a snow-covered terrain. I did not see a storm. When we got to Huntsville, we did circle it, but no more than twice, and then we landed. The pilot said we went to Birmingham and then to Huntsville.
When I got off the plane, I went to the bathroom. I was supposed to call Chris, but got a text that he was on his way. So I went to Baggage Claim to wait for my suitcase. I saw another lady pick it up, read the tag, and put it back. I moved up to wrestle it off the conveyor belt. Then I rolled everything outside to look for Chris. He was waving to me from the right. He put my luggage in the car and gave me a big hug.
We talked on the way home. It was raining. He said the animals were lining up in pairs. Ha! He had a roast of lamb with potatoes and onions and garlic, plus roasted brussel sprouts on the stove. I was so tired I could not remember where we kept the plates. The house seemed like something out of a dimly remembered dream. After eating, we relaxed on the couch and watched two episodes of ST:NG. Then we went to bed, for cuddling and sleep.

No comments: