Friday, February 15, 2019

Sticking to the task

When I went back to the hospital, I took the basket of flowers with me so more people could enjoy them. I set them on the window sill. Faye showed me the drawings of clocks that she and Dad worked on. He was watching a history program on TV so we sat and watched too. Later he made Faye go home because she had to work in the morning. Then he was talkative, so we got to bed late.
We were awoken at 6:20 for his first pill. We rested after that, watching dawn increase. I got up just before 7 to get myself ready and start the denture process. Breakfast was delivered. The nurse got Dad out of bed and took off the catheter. I looked outside his door for a schedule. The nurse leader said that we had nothing until 10:30. So I let Dad peel his own eggs and orange. Nurse Monica asked for a list of Dad;s meds and when he takes them at home. I had forgotten my breakfast, so I ran home to get it. We were both eating at 8 when the PT stopped by to say she would get him at 8:30 for therapy. So I took the yogurt off of Dad's tray. He finished the rest and the nurse came in to wash him and see that he got dressed. He had his hearing aids in by 8:30, and waited 10 minutes for the PT.
She walked him to the gym. She walked him around with a gait belt. She left and I tried to get Dad's list of meds from him, but he would not comply. She came back with a bench and his him tap it with alternate feet. He was not happy with his performance. He practiced walking up and down steps with a rail. She changed his schedule so that all his therapy was before lunch. She had him carry a bag and use a walker. He wished he had window pane glasses that would hold his hearing aids in place. She had him balance on heel-toe between the parallel bars. The nurse practitioner visited him there. He talked about the history program he had seen. Heather walked him some more, and then took him to the dining room for Speech.
In speech, the alternate therapist gave him a list of things and he had to tell her what category they belonged to. Then she gave him a list of things where one did not belong. He got most of them right. Then he went to the gym to meet the alternate OT. She asked what he would like to work on. I suggested dentures and a short walk. She took him for a walk, and then she gave him three bills and a check book. He was able to write appropriate checks for all of them. Then she gave him a weighted bar to exercise his shoulder. Finally we went back to the room and she showed him how to dot his denture cream and it seemed to work.
While Dad ate his lunch, I took my morning supplements. His tray had two cottage cheeses. I also shared tuna from my lunch. It took a long time for him to finish lunch, but then there was no rush. I called William and asked him to buy some MCT oil. The case worker came by to say everything was on track for discharge on the 20th. I had time to delete e-mail with my phone.
I laid down and so did Dad, when he was done eating. I think he fell asleep. Then the nurse leader came in to ask questions like did he think therapy was helping him, Did he think it prepared him to live at home, etc. Then she asked if he had any questions. I asked about discharge. She said probably at 11, and Home Health should come the next day. Dad should get an appointment with his GP in the next week or two. After she left, Dad and I used the bathroom. Then I called his GP and got an appointment for the day after. I checked him out and we went to the first floor to get a map of the hospital campus. Then he and I walked the hall looking for a window to see the building his GP is in.
Soon after we got back, supper arrived. He said he wasn't all that hungry. (Say what?!) But he dug in. I packed my bag. William called to say he had the MCT oil. I kind of waited for Faye so I could tell her stuff. We started a list of things to mention to his GP. It was almost 7 when I left the hospital.
I went back to the house and collected the mail. Nothing important. I ate an egg and used up the rest of the salad. I called Chris. I asked William if he could give me a ride to the airport next Saturday. I needed more groceries, but laid down first. All my will power was gone. I finally got up to write to my blog and water the plants. I also made a shopping list in case it would be motivating. Faye started texting me, but then went to bed. I went to Wegmans, not certain I had enough energy, but it was so nice and quiet, that I really enjoyed myself. I got almost everything on the list and a few extra. I was glad I went.
When I got back, I carried in the groceries and put them away. And then it was time for bed.

No comments: