Thursday, February 14, 2019

I called 1-800-StAlfred

I drove the 198? K car back to the hospital. It gave me a great appreciation of the 1992 Oldsmobile. It sounded like it might not make it, but it got me there. I went to the 5th floor where William and Dad were talking about the cars. After more conversation, William left. Faye texted to see how things were going. Dad cleaned his hearing aids and dentures all by himself and in a reasonable amount of time. Then I got ready for bed and we went to sleep.
As usual with nurse Jeff, we were awakened at 6 for a Synthroid pill. Afterwards, we tried to sleep again. I think Dad did. But I got up at 7 to let the daylight in. I got myself ready, then turned my attention to Dad's dentures while Jeff got him out of bed and put on the support hose. I gave Dad salt water to swish with even though the nurse said there was no sore spot showing in his mouth. Don't tell the day nurse, but I have been disinfecting Dad's denture brush with hydrogen peroxide. She seems to think it will poison him, even though I rinse it well. Disinfecting my toothbrush as well has cleared up my symptoms.
Dad's breakfast arrived a little late. Then we heard that Speech was coming at 8:30. So to help him along, I peeled his eggs and his orange. After breakfast, I gave him a bowl of warm water and a cloth to wash up. Then he got himself dressed. He was putting in his hearing aids when the therapist arrived.
She had him review which meds he took in the morning. It was confusing because of the medicine name changes and because what he takes in the morning at home is not the same as what the hospital gives him in the morning. Plus, there is the before-breakfast pill and the after-breakfast pills. Then she gave him a list of items with prices and a set amount of money. She asked him to choose what he would spend it on without going over. He did well at that.
Then the day nurse came with morning meds. She was complaining of allergy symptoms, so I gave her one of the Tri-Ease softgels. She gave Dad a small cup with pills in it. While she was talking to me, he dropped some of them. She went to get more. Dad and I waited, talking about establishing a schedule for home. He worried about ordering his pills. We got tired of waiting for her, so we went for a walk around the halls with a walker. We ran into the Nurse Leader who asked if Dad would like his release date moved up. He did not formulate an answer.
When we got back to the room, I deleted e-mail with my phone so I wouldn't have to do it at home. Then I read. Dad went to the bathroom by himself. The PT came in while he was washing his hands. She walked him to the gym. The PT had him walk around cones with a walker, and retake the balance test. He went from a score of 9 to 45 (out of 56). He needs to work on the forward reach, the heal-toe stand, and turning time. He walked back using a different walker.
Lunch arrived and there was a cupcake with a heart on it, a complimentary surprise for the patients. Dad didn't pay much attention to it until it was the last thing. Then he ate it. I gave him some pumpkin seeds for protein. I read while he ate.
The OT came 20 minutes early. She walked behind him to the gym. The day nurse was so happy to see him walk without a walker that she got tears in her eyes. The OT had him count out amounts of money. He was accurate under $100. Over that, and he kept losing count and having to recount.
He went back to the room for a short rest. Then the PT came, also early. They did some incline walking, and used the stepper for 15 minutes. I followed him back to his room. He napped while I finished my book. He got up to use the toilet and a nurse came in. Neither one of us called her, but I let her do the work of fitting a new brief. Afterward, he sat in his chair, shaving. We rinsed the shaver, and he went back to wait for supper. When it arrived, I added a fat bomb, and packed my suitcase to leave. He engaged me in conversation for a bit, and then I headed out to the K car, which started more easily than he said, but it sounded terrible.
I drove back to the house and parked in front. I saw William's truck. I also saw a new tire on the Oldsmobile, which Alfred must have done. He really saved the day. I got the mail. I went inside and peeled an egg to eat. William showed me a jar of pickles that he found in the closet. The date was 2013 so I threw out the pickles and saved the jar. I washed dishes, then made breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. I sat down to write as much of my blog as I could before my tapping buddy contacted me.
I called her at 8 and we tapped for an hour, plus some chitchat. Afterward, I called Chris, but kept it short. Then I posted to my blog and got ready to go back to the hospital.
* Contraband! I did not order this. *

No comments: