Monday, February 18, 2019

Water water everywhere (just kidding)

I got to the hospital a little early. Dad was in bed and talking to Faye. I could sense some tension in the room. After she left, Dad was talkative so we got to bed late.
Someone woke us up early to take Dad's blood. Then it was dark again until the early pill came at 6:30. At 7 I got up to get myself ready. I opened the blinds to let in the sun. Breakfast did not arrive until 7:15. I woke Dad up, then got his dentures ready. I started feeding him in bed until we could get a nurse to remove the catheter, sit him in a chair and put on the stretchy socks. When he finished eating, I handed him a bowl of hot water to wash as much of himself as he could reach. I also handed him clothes, which he put on all by himself.
In 15 minutes Heather took him to PT. She walked him, and had him step over red things. He also had to wind his way around cones and tap each one on the top with his foot. Then she turned him over to Allie the OT. She had him fold pillowcases and hang up shirts and load the dishwasher. She brought him back to the room for lunch.
We ate lunch together. At 1 Heather came back for more PT. I was so tired that I stayed in the room. Dad said they walked and did steps. She came back with the rollator and said he was going to speech. I grabbed my notes and his cup of water and went looking for him. He was on his way back to the room. The speech therapist had him do simple math, like picking items from a list that could all be bought with $10. He did really well. She read him short stories and asked questions. He did almost as well. She said she would do a cognitive eval tomorrow for contrast to when he got here.
After she left, I thought we might take a nap. But he talked about writing checks and going for a walk. Then he ate a cracker with peanut butter, even though I read the label and could not think of a worse ingredient list. The therapist leader came by. She spoke about the importance of having a pendent to call for help. Later the case worker came by. She talked about home care and having someone live there. I took notes, but lost them. Even his doctor came by. I asked what Dad;s idea weight should be and he said to ask the GP.
Finally Dad wrote a check and signed the paper to register for transportation vouchers. I got calls from William and Karen about the toilet installation and other plumbing issues that were coming up. Supper arrived soon after. I packed my bag and headed out, certain Faye would be there soon.
I drove to the house. Karen and William were there. We got into a conversation about Patrick and cancer and toilets and such. It was after 7:30 when they left. I attacked the rotisserie chicken. I hunted high and low for the bag of breakfast ingredients. I found it in my big suitcase. I packed a breakfast and a lunch. I called Chris for a short talk. Then it was time to change my clothes and go back to the hospital.

No comments: