Saturday, February 9, 2019

Stacking the deck

When I arrived at the hospital, Dad was just settling down into bed. Dad complained about a sore spot in his mouth. We looked and saw a white spot on his gums. I put some sea salt in water for him to swish. Faye and I pointed it out to the nurse. We talked for a bit and then she left.
I got ready for bed and we went to sleep. I expected to be woken up at 6:30 for Dad's pill, and then I would order breakfast. But he and I both woke up at almost 7 and there was no nurse, or pill. It was too late to order breakfast. The nurse came with his first pill. I showed her the white spot and she said it was a canker sore. I got myself ready, then worked on his denture routine. Breakfast came, and was the same as yesterday, so I guess the default is the previous order. I watched while Dad moved himself from the bed to the wheelchair. He is listed as CGA, but I did not touch him. I moved the catheter bag closer to the chair and pulled the table up. Dad started eating. I took my supplements and then ate my breakfast.
Eventually he finished eating. I called a nurse to get him washed and dressed. The assistant came and she gave him a basin of water to wash his upper body. She left. He washed himself and I washed his back. We called again. Later she came back to help him wash lower, but did not remove the catheter. She did put on a pull-up and sweat pants halfway up his thighs. She put on his shoes, put a towel in his lap, and left.
There was some down time. I gave Dad a pen from the house, so he would not have to borrow mine. Dad worried about catching my germs. He looked over his homework. And then Faye arrived. She got a nurse to removed the catheter so Dad could be more comfortable. We three played Rummy, using a simplified version of the rules since he had never played before. He even took a turn shuffling the cards and dealing them. It is part of his homework. The nurse practitioner came in to see how Dad was doing. She took a pic of my packet of vitamin patches. At noon Dad's lunch arrived. Faye went to Subway to get a sandwich. I waited for the nurse to leave so I could put a fat bomb in his rice. The nurses here seem to be on board with supplements, but I am not sure if they believe in a low-fat diet for everyone. When Faye returned, she asked me to come back at 8am tomorrow so she could go to church. And then I packed my rolling case and went to Dad's house.
I went for a walk to see if there was a trail to Walmart through the back of the neighborhood. There was, but I could not see if it went directly to Walmart. And anyway, crossing Old Buckingham on foot was dangerous. When I got back, I boiled two chicken legs. I read e-mail. I laid in the vibrating chair while listening to a podcast. I was falling asleep after it ended, and William called from Wegmans, asking what groceries I needed. So I read him the list. He asked questions about each item as he found it. I figured if he could do it for me, he might do it for Dad when Dad gets out of the hospital. I had to hang up with William to answer Chris. Chris didn't have much to say. He is getting ready for an interview on Monday, and a trip to Uma. William called back with more questions. Then he brought the groceries over and I paid him. He installed some toilet bars in the back bathroom. He looked at the toilet in the hall bath. We talked about him moving stuff out of the guest room so Patrick could move in. Then I needed to get supper ready because it was almost 8. I soaked a can of coconut milk in hot water so it would be liquid. Then I poured it in the fermentation jar. I washed lettuce and broccoli sprouts. (I miss having a salad spinner.) I ate while listening to a podcast. I looked up the voucher transportation system in Midlothian. Dad can buy vouchers for transportation to Dr. appts at the library (where Patrick works). There is also an service called Instacart that will deliver groceries for $4 + 5% of the food total (if my information is correct) I texted the info to Faye. That should be a relief to her. I finished my podcast and worked on my blog. I talked to Faye to find out what happened last night before she left because I could not remember. I mixed chia and flax seeds together. It looked like sand art until I shook it to mix it. I washed my food containers and started on breakfast. I will make lunch, then set an alarm and go to bed.

No comments: