Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The good with the bad

I found a pic of Dad 6 years ago to show the therapist. I packed lunch and breakfast. I found some Efferdent, but it was almost empty. I used the vibrating massager that William found. I caught up on my previous blog posts and added pics. I washed up and put on clean clothes, then went back to the hospital. Faye was getting Dad in bed. She said the denture process went easier tonight possibly because the primidone hadn't kicked in yet. After Faye left, Dad complained of discomfort in a sensitive area and I called the nurse who put some cream on it. Then I got ready for bed and turned out the lights.
Nothing happened at night until the nurse woke him at 6am for a pill. We rested again until 7. I let in the daylight. The nurse put briefs on Dad and sat him in the chair while I washed up from night sweats. Breakfast arrived while I got his dentures ready. I took my morning supplements while he ate, then I ate too. Nurse said his bp was 95/41, not too low for him. After eating everything on his tray, he asked for crackers and peanutbutter. We called the nurse to put on the support hose. I handed him a wet wash cloth to clean up and then gave him clothes, which he put on himself.
At 9:45 he went to the gym with the OT. She had him raising and lowering a bar with both hands. She measured his range of motion, then gave him a retest of cognitive ability. He had gained 10 points. When we got back to the room, he napped. I read for awhile, then laid down until lunch came.
I shared my tuna and cauliflower with him. He had his lunch mostly eaten by 1pm when the speech therapist came. They reviewed meds that are going by a different name here at the hospital. I am not sure why he was so slow at that today.
Dad was about to lie down for a nap when the pastor arrived. He talked about the need to continue at home whatever it is here that is helping Dad so much. He left just before the PT arrived.
I took water to the gym for him, but he was largely uninterested. He had to practice sitting and standing. She stretched his legs, then they walked up and down the gym. He tapped a step with alternate feet. He walked forward and backward, and practiced stopping. That was topped off with 5 minutes in the reclining stepper.
Back in the room, he changed his pants so I could wash them. He drank a lot of water. Then he laid down for a nap. I read until supper arrived. Once he was eating and comfortable, I took my suitcase and left the hospital. When I got to the parking lot, I saw the license plate was hanging off the front of the car. I tried several times to shove the screw back into the hole. At last, it did but I was not sure it would stay. I drove to the house.
As I rounded the last corner for Dads house, the car felt like it was resisting, holding back. I parked in front of the house and checked the license plate. It was still on. I got my rolling suitcase and checked the mail. I took it inside the house. I put all the dirty laundry in the washer. I went out the front door to find two bouquets of flowers, one from Mary and one from Chris. They were beautiful! I brought them inside.
I decided to go for a quick walk. I locked the back door behind me and headed down the driveway. Then I saw it – my front tire was completely flat. !@#$$$##@! I texted Faye and William and went for a fast walk around the block to blow off energy. I called Chris, and the Damours. When I got back, I checked the trunk and saw a spare doughnut. I went inside and waited to call William again. When the laundry was washed, I put it in the dryer. I put eggs on to boil. I made a salad. William came over to check the tire. He warmed up the K car for me to use tonight. The Damours called back and offered to come over tomorrow and take care of the tire.
I took a shower and finished the laundry. I had to dry it twice. I made breakfast and lunch. Then I had to do a quick blog posting because I was out of time.

No comments: