Thursday, February 19, 2009

Less chairful than before

The gov't decided they wanted the chairs we borrowed back. This is nothing new, although we didn't know it when we packed to come here. We stalled them long enough to have the quilt group gather at my house in the beginning of Feb. But it could be put off no longer. I was told they'd come by between 2 and 4. So I went to the thrift shop as usual, planning to leave at 1, return the cafeteria key to the middle school, and walk back to the apartment to wait for them. As my husband quotes "No plan ever survives contact with the enemy." Maria offered me a ride home, so I stayed a little later then 1. Then I got a call from a man saying "We here, where you?" So Maria rushed me home and promised to return the key to the school for me. She's a sweetheart! I let the men in, they took the chairs and left. Then I had to rearrange the remaining chairs to cover the empty spaces. I felt a little chairless for awhile, but thanks to Andrea (who rescued 4 chairs from going to the dump) and to Adele (who gave me her wornout patio chairs which were reweavable), we have enough chairs to sit in the kitchen, in the livingroom, and at the makeup table.
Michele came home early (its a new senior priviledge on B days) and heard the racket of construction on the 17th floor. Can you imagine? We are on the 6th floor but you would think the work was being done on the 7th because of the volume.
I am looking forward to a quiet night.

No comments: