Sunday, February 1, 2009

Skiing for the first and possibly last time

Saturday Chris drove me to the middle school before 7. When Andrea came, she had me ride with her husband in their car while she rode on the bus with the kids. He and I got to the ski lodge before the bus did. I got separated from him so I waited where I could see the bus arrive. When we were all there, Andrea showed me how to get the equipment and put it on. We had to help the kids since putting on ski boots is very difficult. So is walking in ski boots. I felt the the abominable snowman.
First I tackled the bunny slope with Andrea's husband helping me. After 10 minutes (and still not going all the way up) he said it would be easier on the other slope. I wish I had a picture. The other slope was considered an easy slope complared to the expert slope, but much longer and some steeper than the bunny slope. It had a chair lift. The bunny slope was all packed down and mostly ice, so it was hard to turn or stop. He claimed the other slope was better. Ha. It was faster. I suppose I could have enjoyed the trip down, wind wistling past my ears, if it weren't for the fact that all good trips must come to an end and I couldn't see a good one. The only way to stop was to hit someone or something. It was 40 degrees and what had melted yesterday had refrozen as ice. Snowplowing didn't work. Zigzagging didn't work. I slid down whether my skis were pointing down, to the side or up. (I didn't know I could ski backwards). It took me two trips to get down that hill. I didn't go back up.
Back to the bunny hill. I had to take my skis off to walk up because there was no walking with skis on. Putting one ski on was fine. But trying to put the other on was hard because the first was ready to go, even though I was leaning on my ski poles. I took my share of tumbles, barely missing small children, screaming as I went. Nothing broken, but it left me sore. At one point I was down with my skis pointing in opposite directions on opposite sides of my body. That hurt, and I couldn't move. A very nice young Korean man released my feet from my skis and I was saved. Whew! Then we met in the cafeteria for lunch. I got a plate of very thick rice noodles in a spicy red sauce. It was good but I couldn't finish it. After lunch the kids went back out. I declined because the bunny hill was so crowded that there was no clear path down. And I didn't want to kill anyone on my way down. So I sat in the lodge and read. Our ski tickets expired at 1, and the kids returned to the cafeteria to have ice cream and pick up their stuff (after turning in their equipment). The ice cream looked like pop rocks. I was surprized to find it was cold. For some reason, in that form it wasn't very appealing. Then we went home. For 40,000 won (about $33) for boots, skis, poles and lift tickets, it was a good deal.
At home I had a bowl of soup and took a nap. Then Chris and Michele and I went to the coffee shop for our Korean lesson. Only the teacher forgot and never showed up. We waited for almost an hour. Then we walked back. But it was ok.
I did some picking up to get ready for the meeting on Monday. But then I developed a headache and went to bed.

1 comment:

Gwenda said...

LOL!! I could just picture you on that ski slope!