Friday, February 20, 2009

We eat out

I got plenty of sleep thursday night (no TV from upstairs) and so got up early on Friday and stayed up. I went through a lot of e-mail and got some sewing done. I posted a pic on a previous blog entry. Michele came home and we discussed a vest she would like me to make for her. Then Chris came home and wanted to go out to eat with some friends of his from the office. I didn't realize how cold it was and so was underdressed. Luckily the restaurant floor was heated and so were the benches around the table. (You can't get away with holes in your socks here) We had a great meal even though I couldn't identify all the foods. My father used to tell me that the food must make a stop on your plate before it goes in your mouth. Well, we didn't have plates. Literally you just pluck a mouthful of food from one of many small dishes with your chopsticks and eat it. It sounds terrible unsanitary, but that is how it is done. The pork was cooked over coals set into the table. The waitress kept coming back to turn the pieces.
I hated to leave because I knew it would be even colder outside. I was glad to get home and crawl into bed. It was only 8:30, but since I will be spending 24 hours in a Buddhist temple this weekend and they sleep from 9:30pm to 3:45am, I decided it was a good warmup. Wish me luck.

No comments: