Monday, January 2, 2017

Aquarium and Museum

I heard Reveille played at 8 (along with the National Anthem). I got up and squeezed half a lemon into a cup of water. I drank it as I read e-mail. I did my exercises. I made and ate breakfast. I washed up and got dressed. Chris programmed the tablet to guide us to Underwater World. And it took us the back way, sort of a short cut. Once we got there, we had to figure out where to park. There were several parking decks. Then we walked to the second floor. Chris bought tickets, and she gave him the military discount, which seemed to be 50%. We walked through a winding glass tube, fish on either side of us and sometimes swimming over head. The voices of children were loud, the shrillness amplified in the tube. They were exclaiming over the grouper and colorful little fish and the sting ray that swam like a flying carpet. At the end of the tube was an escalator. At the top were individual tanks and displays. I took some pics, not sure if they would turn out. When we finished the attraction, we walked around the mall. It was not very interesting. Then we got in car and drove south until we got back to the main road. We stopped at a small building that advertised itself as a museum. There was no one present. A sign proclaimed admission to be $3 and there was a box with a slit for the money. But we did not have the change, so we left. We took a slightly different shortcut back to the hotel for lunch. Chris found another coconut on the grounds. I ate the small papaya from the car. It wasn't very sweet.
I spit out the seeds to dry out, and also swallowed some. I ate one of the boiled eggs, two banana oatmeal cookies and a rib. I read e-mail for a bit. Then Chris drove us to the War In The Pacific museum, which was right next to the Navy base. It was small, but densely packed with text and pictures on short walls. We saw a 10 minute presentation first about the history, mostly in WW2. It made me cry. Then we each walked around the room, reading the blurbs and looking at the pictures. It was so sad to see the images of war-torn land and suffering people. I asked Chris for the keys and waited out in the car. It was after 4 'til we left. Then we went on base to the NEX. It was huge! Bigger than any WalMart I have ever seen. And they seemed to sell everything (except organic shampoo without all the chemicals). Chris joked that it was bigger than our base in Chinhae. We did not buy anything there. We went across the street to the commissary. It was as big or a little bigger than the one at Yongsan. But some of the shelves were empty. We bought broccoli, local sweet potatoes, milk, and tortilla shells. We brought the food home, and Chris stir-fried the broccoli with the leftover ribs and lentils. Then we read e-mail. I got hooked on looking at recipes for rainbow colored foods. I looked through articles on TQS. I got my unread e-mail down to 45. I watched a video on the history of the ball at Times Square. Then we watched three episodes of The Finder and looked up the people with familiar faces. We discussed the plan for tomorrow. Chris went back to his game and I typed up my blog. I downloaded the pics from his camera.

No comments: