Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Sewing like a madwoman

I got up about 8:30. I started to check e-mail, but then remembered it was recycling day. So I threw on some clothes and gathered as much recycling as I could quickly get. I took it all outside and left it by the curb, hoping it wasn't too late. I saw that the food waste container hadn't been touched since yesterday. The food inside was frozen. The day looked so sunny and warm, it was hard to believe it was so cold. I went back inside. I drank my quart of water and followed some of the tapping in articles and a long audio. I did my exercises. I looked at the pics of lilies I had downloaded. I did just enough tapping to get started. I did not have a complete quilt in mind, but I started sewing anyway. I looked up a pattern for a lily block. It was too small, so I subtracted half an inch from the dimensions of each piece, doubled it, then added the half inch back in. I cut strips, and then subcut them. The triangles were way too large, but the other pieces fit. I had to re-cut some of the diamonds to get a reverse image. I sewed them together to make lilies. Then I pieced in the squares and triangles. I wanted to use mountain blocks around them, with the center on point. But the dimensions were awfully close. Not much room to play with. I sewed half inch sashing between the lilies. Then I made 8 mountain blocks, cutting, sewing, and cutting again, and resewing. I decided they were ok. They would not fit around on point, but would do nicely if the on-point block had big triangles around it. I did not know what the triangles should be yet. I focused on making 8 more blocks. It was almost time for line dancing but I decided I would rather sew. But when I ironed the sets of pieces together, I had 15, not 16. I searched my sewing room for the missing half block. I searched my cutting room. I searched the livingroom and dining room. I searched the sewing room again. It was nowhere to be found. I got ready for sewing class, put the needed items in a bag. I changed into long pants. I put on my coat and walked to Housing. It was dark and cold out. Two cars were in the parking lot when I got there. I punched in the code and opened the door. Anna and Tammy came in with me. We went upstairs and turned on the lights. We set up tables and started getting out machines. Kelly and her girls came, as well as a new lady named Kasey. It was a madhouse at first, trying to get everything set up and help everyone at the same time. But then Anna took Kasey under her wing and Tammy helped one of Kelly's girls. I was able to keep up then. Kelly wanted to discuss making a bed of pillows for her son. One daughter was working on a quilt top. Another had started an apron and her mother finished it. But she entertained herself by using my fabric markers on everything. Her sister made a hand warmer, which was the suggested project for tonight. Tammy made a bunch of hand warmers. When the crowd died down a little, I sewed mountain blocks together, except for the last one which I never found. Then I started packing up. The ladies talked as the apron progressed, and then they all helped me put tables away and put up the equipment and fabric. We left on time. I walked home with my rice and the tubs Kelly returned. Chris was home, but had just gotten there. He made a bowl of popcorn while I searched again for the missing half block. We watched several episodes of The Clone Wars. I didn't care for it but had nothing else to suggest. Then he read e-mail while I typed up my blog and checked e-mail. I saw he had scanned in my questionnaire. He got the first question translated: Do you have a lot of dreams when you are in the locker room? I'll bet that could be better translated. I decided I need a live person for that. And then it was time for bed.
* Lilies! *

No comments: