Friday, January 6, 2017

Coming back from Christmas

I woke up hearing a strange sound: short bits of music followed by two beats. Chris got up to see what it was, but did not come back to bed. I tried to go back to sleep, having slept really well and hoping it would continue. Evidently not. I got up and saw that Chris was having breakfast. I ate oatmeal cookies with butter on them, and read e-mail. I am not sure how, but I came across articles on how to make a hat from a bra, and then videos on fast workers. Dynee texted me that she needed some sewing help. So I got dressed and texted her to come over. She wanted to know how to pick fabric for a quilt. Then we talked about the closing of the school on post and the ramifications of that. Chris went to the office. I mentioned getting a better exchange rate in town and she wanted to do that right away for her trip to Seoul. The bank was closing for lunch soon, so we got ourselves ready and drove to the bank on post. There she handed them 20's and got two hundreds. She drove us out in town to NH bank. She gave me her cash and I had some hundreds left from the trip to Guam. So I took a number (the slip from the bottom) and in a minute we were being helped. I handed over the cash and the lady changed it to won. Dynee exclaimed over the difference in exchange rate between the bank on post and this one. It was only 2000 won difference per hundred so I wasn't impressed, particularly at the amounts we exchanged. We split the cash in the car. But we did not have the right denominations so I gave her the lions share and she said she would pay it back when she got the 10's and 5's. We went back to the base, to the post office. She had a few packages to mail. I picked up our mail for the days we were gone. I had to sign for one with Chris' name on it. I called him to say I had the mail. He reminded me to get a light bulb from Housing. So after Dynee took me home, I dropped off the mail and walked to Housing. I got a light bulb and doublechecked the availability of the room for sewing next week. It was only available at night. I went home and made breakfast. I read e-mail. I un-decorated the tree while listening to a podcast on 7 ways to lose weight: Drink smarter, sleep smarter, breathe better, activate brown fat, lift weights, meditate often, make a comfortable sleeping space. Chris came home from work with groceries. He put a chicken in the oven. I made notes for my blog. I read the Christmas cards from the pile of mail and e-mailed the senders. I transferred pics from my camera to the computer and deleted many of them from the camera. The cord worked perfectly. Why none of the other cords which also fit, would work for transferring pics, I don't know. When the chicken was done, we had it for supper. We also had some leftover sweet potato casserole. Chris had bought a coconut at the commissary. I opened it and it was rotten. We put it aside to take back. I made a batch of seed crackers. I read e-mail while it baked. I finished all the remaining Sudoku puzzles for 2016. Then we watched a Netflix movie called “The Fountain” with Hugh Jackman. It was one of those which ended leaving the viewer wondering what happened. There was only one movie left in our queue so we spent some time looking through what Netflix had to offer. Most of it sounded shallow, or uninteresting. We added some things we were not sure about, but decided to try. Then Chris went back to his game while I looked up The Fountain on the internet to find out what it was really about. I wrote up my blog and went to bed.
* This is the unknown root vegetable that we ate on Wednesday. It was like a jicama. *

No comments: