Monday, January 30, 2017

Something's fishy

By the time I got up, Chris was gone to work. I think it was after 8:30. I drank, exercised, made coffee, the usual for Monday. I put on some meditation music on Youtube. Every so often, the music stopped and an ad played. Very annoying. But, my new timer is digital and doesn't tick. I hope it lasts as long at the windup ones. I had just started the cleaning portion of my meditation Monday, when Myra called. We talked for awhile and it set me back. Chris did not come home for lunch. I went back to cleaning. Chris' bathroom was so dusty. And the kitchen sink was full of dishes. I washed them. I made and ate breakfast so I could drink a packet of herbs. I saw a star block on TQS. It was an 8 point, and I needed a 6 or 12 point. So I tried to draft one. It did not work in 6 points. I got dressed and went next door to help Dynee with her quilt, but she wasn't home. I called Myra and found out that Dynee was there. So I worked on printing something out, but they called before I finished. I went next door with my selected fabrics. The three of us came up with a plan, actually two, to use the fabric Dynee had and all the blocks and strips she had already cut. Myra drew out one of the proposed quilts. I mentioned that I had software that would do that. I took pics of her fabric so I could plug it into my program later. Dynee had just received her new sewing machine in the mail, so I packed up the one I had lent her and set up her new one. She did not have thread yet, so I left my thread and stand. Then Myra and I went home. I took my sewing machine to my sewing room. I had another machine set up, but did not have a good feel for a quarter inch on it. So I replaced it with the older one. I set out all my fish remnant blocks. I tried to match them in sets of three: two small and one large, in the same bright fabric on the same blue background. For those that I had more of the bright fabric, I cut a square to match the large block. My first attempt to sew a 4 patch with two large and two small blocks failed miserably because I had three different sizes, not two. But once I identified the problem and trimmed the offending piece down, it went ok. I went back to finding sets and trimming blocks. There were not as many sets as I wanted. For some reason, some sets were incomplete. And some bright fabrics were apparently all used up. I heard Chris come home from work, but I kept on with what I was doing. Since my new blocks were turning out to be about 4 inches, the 25 sets I came up with were only going to make about 17.5” of quilt. Even with borders, it was going to be short of my goal of 40 inches. I found an 8 inch block leftover from the original quilt block. It occurred to me to set it on point and arrange the smaller blocks around it. I was able to assemble a few more sets, still not sure how many I needed, especially if they were on point. I went ahead with sewing the sets I had. When I realized it was after 9:30, I stopped so Chris and I could watch TV. We watched one episode of Legends. Then I stretched my back, which was tight from all the trimming and sewing. I wrote up my blog post for today and went to bed, eager to start sewing again in the morning.
* These are my new blocks. The only downside is that there is a hole (unsewn seam) in the center of each one. *

No comments: