Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lotte Mart

Andrea came over this morning to make a pillow. It shouldn't have taken long, but we talked a lot and she also brought material for curtains. So it was 11 before we finished. She also brought me a CD on creative ways to give money, and some felt to make a Christmas tree, and info on some other things. She is so nice to me! She even gave me a ride to the thrift shop. I meant to volunteer, but there was no one there. So, I walked to the Embassy Center and bought sushi. Then I met Tina walking her dog. So we walked for a while, then went back to her house to eat the sushi. It was good, but not as good as the sushi from Costco.
Since her husband was still home recovering from his minor surgery, we went to the PX and the Four Seasons, both on post. She asked me if I'd ever been to Seoul Station and I hadn't, so we walked out gate 1 and turned right. We walked until we found a subway station, then took it to Seoul Station, which was only one stop. I guess we could have walked, but it was cold! Anway, there was a large store there called Lotte Mart. It was like Target, but with a grocery floor, and a 1000 won section. We had the best time shopping for little items and finding new snacks to try. I wonder what the cashier thought about our apparent food choices. They had clothes and shoes, but we could find them cheaper in the subway. Then we ate at the food court. The food court had a lot of food preparation places surrounding a room full of tables. But you order and pay at a central location and then they tell you which place will make your food. I don't know if each one is a different restaurant or not. Your order number appears above the restaurant that prepares your food when it is ready. We had Korean sausage with rice, and ramyen noodles. I don't know where the sausage was. The rice tasted like sausage and was wrapped in seaweed, then cross cut into sushi-like rounds. Nearby was a place that claimed to be a riceteria. I guess all their selections were made from rice.
After our meal, she wanted to try the fluffy ice cream stand in Lotte Mart. So we went back. She bought a blueberry cone for herself and a melon cone for me. It was good, but not as sweet, or as creamy as in the U.S. We talked for hours. Good, old-fashioned female bonding. I called Chris to let him know where we were. Michele answered, and said she had Calculus homework. I suppose I should have rushed home, but we were having too good a time. Around 9pm we decided to head back. We passed a man selling leather gloves in the subway for 5000 won. Everywhere else they were 15,000 to 20,000 won. So we got three pairs. Then we caught the train back 2 stops, the stop before where we'd gotten on. Turns out it is closer to the north gate. Which was good since it was so cold. She drove me home, and I found both Chris and Michele in bed already.

No comments: