Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve


Tina had some last minute shopping to do in Namdemun, but we went to Dongdaemun also.
I bought 12 yards of brown flannel to make bedroom curtains so we can finally sleep in the dark. I also bought some dressier fabric to make a pair of dress pants. Tina bought fabric for pajamas and a skirt. In Namdemun we bought shirts and pants for the men in her family and socks for ourselves. I ended up wearing my new socks over my old ones for better protection from the cold. We stopped at a little restaurant for curry chicken and kimchi. Also,I bought three items that looked and felt like large cheese tubes. Actually they were rather bland, probably made of rice somehow, and hot off the grill. Tina and I ate one and I kept the rest in my pocket for the warmth.
The funniest thing was that Tina bought a leg. Yes, a leg. Like the ones used to display knee-hi's. So out came all the leg jokes. 'Need a leg up?', 'Have a leg to stand on?', 'Your leg seems a little stiff.', 'Here, hold my leg for a moment' etc.
We laughed so hard. She bought it as a joke gift for her husband, something about a lamp made of a leg appearing in a movie.
Anyway, we finally called it quits and took the subway home, or tried to. One of the subway gates is right by Namdemun Gate 1. But today it wasn't there. Like it had been moved. Just not possible and yet there it wasn't. I was expecting someone to shout "Candid Camera". So we walked to Gate 6 and took the subway from there.
Tina gave me a container of cookies she'd made. When I came home with it, it became very popular. Then we dressed for church and left. The music was excellent. Have I ever mentioned that the choir of about 10 is all Korean? Wonderful singers. We also had a clarinetist and a trumpet player, both military men. After the service, the entire congregation met at the Sterlings for treats and conversation. Some caroling ensued. She weaves, and does some needlepoint. Her house is fascinating. And their view of Seoul is breathtaking.
Michele is looking forward to a TV family Christmas where the children wake the parents up early on Christmas morning to open presents. So off to bed....

3 comments:

Gwenda said...

Sounds like you'll be busy sewing in the new year!

Merry Christmas!!

Linda said...

You said you bought fabic so you could sleep in the dark. I don't understand. Doesn't it get dark?

Check out my blog at http://sewgratefulquilts.wordpress.com/ I have pics of the Guild Christmas Party.

Merry Christmas Fern.
Linda

Fern said...

Ah yes, I will be sewing if I can just clean up my sewing room. Right now it is full of wrapping paper and ribbon.
And I will be sleeping if I can block out the city lights at night. A whole wall in our bedroom is sliding glass doors covered in thin rice paper.