Friday, December 12, 2008

Wall Quilt


Thursday morning I met Pam in the parking lot and we drove over to Hannah at the commissary. She is Korean and drove us to Dongdaemun. We bought fabrics, and jewelry, and thread. It sure was nice to have someone who speaks both languages to translate! We got back around noon and Pam dropped me off at the thrift store. I helped hang clothes on the racks for a few hours, then walked to Commisskeys to catch the bus. The next stop was the commissary. When we stopped there, a bagger helped an old lady onto the bus and put her grocery bags by the driver. I was sitting in the front seat, which I don't usually do since I leave them to older folks and people with packages. I patted the seat beside me to show her she could sit there. She smiled at me and sat down. I thought it was a shame that I was getting off so soon because I'd have to squeeze by her to exit. Well, she started talking to me and I changed my mind. Her breath was so bad I had to turn toward the window to take each breath, then turn back and smile and nod without breathing. As a child I was told to "be polite even if it kills you" and it very nearly did. The shame of it is that I don't remember a thing she said and she seemed so nice. After I got home, I mentioned her breath to Michele and she said it was probably kimchi breath. God bless South Korea.
That evening I put together the blocks for the quilt that inspired me earlier. It was a simple block and to use the large print so that it showed up well, it had to be a 16 inch block. I swear that quilt wanted to be a full bed quilt, but I only needed it to hang on the wall above the couch, so I limited it to 6 blocks. I had bought the dark green border fabric earlier, but it needed to be washed. I had to wait until the next morning to wash it because running the dryer means opening the window to hang the vent hose out. In the summer that lets in mosquitoes and in the winter it lets out heat.
So in the morning I washed all the fabrics I bought on Thursday. I added the borders, cut a strip of cardboard to hang it on, and stuck two hooks to the wallpaper in the living room. To make the wallhanging as light as possible, I skipped superfluous things like batting, backing and binding.
I also made rolls using my mother-in-laws recipe, but dividing it by three to fit into my bread machine. It made 18 rolls.
After that, I tried to use my 'new' vacuum from the thrift shop. Instead of picking up dirt, it left dirt. Very odd. Must be a new feature. I decided to circumvent the new feature by cleaning out the plastic bin and filter. When they dry, we'll see if it works any better.

No comments: