Monday, December 8, 2008

Holiday Tour of Homes

Monday is quilt day. Only today instead of making quilts for others, we had a demonstration of rag quilting and each made our own. Mine will be a rug since I need something in my sewing room to separate my feet from the floor. Turnout was light since a number of our members were involved in the Holiday House Tour. Pam and I were to go together in her car, but then Adele invited us to go with her, and she invited a few others and then we were all in somebody's van. We all met at the Dragon Hill Lodge. There were horsd'ovres, but I was too busy waiting to sign in, getting a map, running into people I know, etc to get any before we left. I did have a glass of water. On the way, Adele read the booklet blurb for each house we were about to see. Most houses asked us to remove our shoes. A docent or two was available to explain what we were seeing. I had thought we were going on a tour of Christmas decorations, but these houses had items from all over the world. It was fascinating. And they were beautiful. We visited the houses of colonels, and generals, all on post. We saw elaborate furniture, a functional suit of armor 3 feet high, antiques, tables set for 20. At General Sharp's house, they gave out chocolate in military shapes. We ladies had a great time. Maybe next year my family will come.

No comments: