Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Acres of kimchi


I was excited this morning to participate in a kimchi-making event to provide kimchi for the homeless and elderly. Someone mentioned that kimchi is made in one season for the rest of the year. I could believe that we were making a year's worth of kimchi. Lency and her son met me at my gate and drove to Gate 19, which is home for her. We took the subway to SookMyung station. From there we walked to the old school grounds. There were long rows of tables set up, with kimchi juice from yesterday (2 day event). First we were given handsanitizer, then facemasks. Our group handed out orange aprons so we could identify each other. We were also given a plastic tunic, knitted gloves, rubber gloves, and a shower cap. You'd have thought there was a biohazard. Wearing a jacket, I thought we'd soon be over heated, but that didn't happen until it was almost lunch time. There was a man-made trough where one group washed cabbages. There was another table where some men were slicing the large radishes. Then there were the long rows of tables where the cabbages were stuffed, and where the 'stuffing' was made. We were at the stuffing table. First a bag of grated radish was dumped at the end of the table. Someone added spring onions, and salt. They pushed it along to where spices and kale was added. We mixed and mixed and passed it along to the next group, who added the red shrimp sauce. After thorough mixing, it was scooped from the end of the table and given to a cabbage table. They slid the mixture between leaves of the cabbages and wrapped them up. These were placed boxes and sealed. It was messy work! After that we were given sandwiches and we left. Lency went home, but I went out in search of a printer cartridge. My favorite office store did not have it, so I went to E-Mart. They told me to go to 4th floor of I-Park (in the same building). So I did, but that was cameras. I went up to the 5th floor to find printer stuff. The Dell cartridge no one had, but someone did have the Canon ones, so I bought a color and a b/w. Paid cash, but wasn't given a receipt or a bag. I went back to E-Mart, but this time to the grocery section. I bought kimchi and some snacks. I had the cartridges in the basket with my groceries and didn't see her scan them. A little later I sat down to look at my receipt because it seemed high. Well, she had charged me for the ink. How in the world it happened I don't know because they don't sell ink. But I identified it by the price on the Korean receipt. So I had to go back and try to explain. they thought I wanted to return it. They called in someone with a little English. Finally they understood and refunded the money. I walked to base and caught the bus. Chris was home because it is Veteran's Day. I soaked my clothes and I did my e-mail, then went into my sewing room. I finished a Dresden plate, and put green triangles in one of the purple tops.

No comments: