Friday, November 27, 2009

Last day in Hongkong



Tuesday morning we awoke leisurely, having no tour to meet. After breakfast we went back to the fabric market to see if we had missed anything. Also, we had Hongkong dollars left and HAD to spend them, right? So I bought more Chinese silk brocade.
We walked back through the park. We packed our suitcases and checked out of the hotel. Chris waited for the bus to the airport while I checked out one more store. Then we caught the bus. At the airport we went through security and immigration, etc. After waiting an hour for the plane, we boarded and settled in. There was a camera on the nose of the plane so we could see ahead of the plane as it taxied for take-off. Luckily my ears did really well on ascent and descent, so I had no problems. It was colder back in Seoul, but not as cold as when we left. We landed before 8pm, then waited an hour for a bus to the base. Our car was waiting and we drove it home. Michele had gone to bed so we did, too.


Wednesday Chris had off but he went in to work for awhile anyway. Michele had classes to attend. But she didn't leave before asking if we'd bought her anything. So I showed her the commemorative plate with our picture in it. She didn't want that. So I gave her the scarf we'd bought her. She wore it to college. Chris came home early and fixed a beef roast and some pumpkin pies. It was a big pumpkin and we have plenty left over. Michele brought home a friend for supper. She was very nice. We all talked for hours. Then Michele walked her friend to the bus stop. And it was time for bed.

Thursday was Thanksgiving, but not for Korean university students. Michele had classes to attend. So Chris and I went to Rick and Nancy's house for a late lunch. Nancy made steaks for everyone, and stuffed mushrooms. We brought rolls and bean salad. Another family came and they brought kimchi, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. It was a feast. After eating, the mother took her daughter went to have a wisdom tooth removed. The rest of us sat around the table telling stories and anecdotes. We had pie (pumpkin and pecan) and whipped cream. After several hours, the mother and daughter returned. So we had more pie, except for the daughter who just wanted to go home. So we all eventually found our way home. Chris and I stopped by his office to check his orders for going to the states next week. But they weren't finished. When we got home, Michele was already back from classes. They were let out early. Nancy had sent some cornbread home with us and Michele made it disappear quickly.

Friday morning was the day after Thankgiving for us but the evening of Thanksgiving in the states. My in-laws were going to Skype us so that my parents could see and talk to me (my in-laws always have my parents and family over for Thanksgiving). We suggested that they call at 8am our time because I had promised Mary to take her to Dongdaemun at 9:30. But the call never came. I put Mary off as long as I could, but finally I called them. It wasn't a Skype call so we couldn't see each other, but at least I did get to talk to my parents and family. Chris then rushed me over to the subway to catch the train. Mary had hooked up with Cathy, Robin and Annette. So the five of us shopped together for awhile. Cathy had to leave after noon, so Robin and Annette went with her. Mary and I stayed a little longer to get trims and fiberfill. Then Mary got us a taxi back to post. We stopped briefly by the Chosun gift shop to buy more silk yardage. (I am thinking of making a silk handbag for the gift swap). She dropped me off at my gate and I walked home. But only Michele was home because Chris had gone to work. Yes, now they had finished his orders so he leaves tomorrow. Later he made chicken and chorizo for supper. He also washed the sheets on all the beds. That is really good because although I can remove the sheets from our kingsize bed, I cannot put them back on. After re-dressing the bed, he started packing. I spent several hours working on a 16 x 16 Sudoku puzzle. Michele left about quarter 'till 4 to go to college. Only today's class was canceled. Instead, she had volunteered to help cook a Thanksgiving feast for 50 international students. The university put up funds for the food. Michele made the mashed potatoes and gravy. She and others had planned for 50 people, but she said twice that many came. So they ran out of food, but all in all it was a success.

No comments: