Thursday, November 19, 2009

Obama comes to Yongsan


I arrived on post for the mandatory meeting for volunteers at the thrift shop. No one had adequately explained the 'or else' implicit in the mandatoriness. It might have been an attractive option. Anyway, I went. The meeting was shorter than advertised and Ella, the store manager, brought in enough food to feed everyone. After lunch I shelved books, CD's, videos, and DVD's. We had sold a lot so there was room to put everything out. I had finished almost all of it when the other volunteers went outside to line up along the road to see Obama drive by. It was a might chilly to standing and waiting but we did. Finally he came and went. I hadn't time to notice which car he was in. He was whisked to the helipad and flown to Osan for a townhall meeting. All the school children had lined up too. One person said he stopped to greet them, another said that he kept on going. So I don't know what he did, but I know he was scheduled to be in Osan at 3 and he drove by us at 2:45.

After that, I went back to the thrift shop, bought some shelves that Maryann said were there for a year, and took them to the Arts-n-Crafts center to cut to the sixe of my closet. I walked them home. After some snacks and a short nap, I gathered what I needed for class and made a template for the placemat. Chris came home and I picked up my bag and left. I walked to post, and drove the car to the SPC. I began setting up and thankfully others arrived to help me. I passed out rectangles of batting and showed the class how to flip and sew strips to cover it. We had several girls doing the project as well. Everyone seemed pleased at how their project turned out. Afterwards I drove home and read my e-mail. I read about the harmful effects of cell phone radiation and other electrmagnetic fields. I found out that you can buy a fabric that will protect you from these fields for $20 per linear foot.
It was tempting.

No comments: