Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Seoul International Quilt Festival



I wore my new gray pants because it was cold this morning. The cleaning lady said to me yesterday "Chew-eye-oh" which means cold. (I thought 'chupda' meant cold but apparently that is the infinitive. Yes, they conjugate adjectives here.)
I packed my camera, water bottle and won. Chris picked up Cathy at her place, then picked me up at the gate. He dropped us off at Gate 17, where she and I caught the subway to Samseong station, at the COEX mall. We had a bit of trouble finding the right building, and then the exhibition hall. There were plenty of other events going on. In fact, for an international event, it wasn't very big or well attended.
I took over 100 pictures. I cannot show them all, or even select one as the best or most representative. They were all beautiful. We met a group of ladies on a tour from Australia. Cathy gave them her number in case they want us to take them to Dongdaemun tomorrow. Their tour guide wants to take them to a palace instead. There were vendors there, but the fabric prices were high and the stuff mostly not what we were looking for. I did buy a package of fat quarters for 10,000 won. Cathy wanted to buy a thimble but the only person having one, was taking wholesale orders, not selling piecemeal. Finally we left, having seen everything. Downstairs we spied the Red Cross bazaar. So we went in. There was no entrance fee and lots of vendors selling anything you can imagine: food, clothing, trinkets, etc. Then as we left there, we saw flowers outside. It was the fall flower show. Lovely mums, marigolds, pointsetties, etc., some a little frostbitten. We eventually found our way back to the subway station, and back to post. We were near the Self-Help place, so Cathy stopped in to get some lightbulbs. Then we walked to her house to look through quilt magazines, etc. She lent me her collection of Alex Anderson DVD's to look at. When I got home, Chris arrived soon after. He had flyers for trips we could take over the Thankgiving holiday. Due to college, Michele would have to stay here. I did a lot of internet searching to find out if either of these places had fabric shops (Taiwan, Hongkong) and what else there might be to do there. We also looked into Jeju island, but this might be the wrong time of year for the best experience of the place.

No comments: