Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A productive day


Normally on Tuesdays I go to the thrift shop, but on this particular day there were TWO competing activities. One was the AFSC monthly luncheon and the other was the SIWA annual bazaar. Guess which won? First I went to the movie theatre where the luncheon was to be held. I wanted to give something to the fabric man (who sells at the luncheons wherever they are held). I was tempted to buy fabric, but was on my way to the bazaar and didnt' want to carry fabric with me. Actually there wasn't time. I chatted a moment with some friends then walked up to gate 10 to meet Roseann's van. But even though I was 5 minutes early, she wasn't there. So I made some phone calls. Those who answered didn't know, and those who'd know didn't answer. So Plan B, walk into Itaewon like last year and catch the hotel bus. It was a COLD wait for that bus, just like last year. I was considering paying for a taxi. But then the small bus pulled up. We all crowded on, including the ladies with large strollers. They folded up. But then the kids hadn't car seats. They sat in their mother's laps or stood on the seats holding onto the seats in front of them. This would never be allowed in the U.S. The bas ride was shorted than I remembered. We alighted at the hotel, found our way to the convention center, and bought tickets. First I went up and down each row looking at the wares for sale from all the different countries. I bought some handmade soap, 2 small pointsettias and 11 yards of silk fabrics. I couldn't believe the deal: 1000 won per yard! And it was the organza type that the Koreans use for their patchwork. So I bought a bunch. Then I started running into people I knew, including the people who I was supposed to have come with. One recommended the baklava from the International Food
Section. So I got a box of those. Then we all left together. WE got off at gate 10 and I walked to Chris's office to ask for a ride because I didnt want my flowers to freeze. But he couldn't, so he kept the flowers and I walked home. My sewing table was clean from yesterday so I started a new project - a sparkly top to wear to the Christmas party. The fabric was hard to work with and I remember 15 years ago saying I was through with that shifty stuff. When I test-fitted it, I didn't like the way it looked and was going to stop, but Michele told me it looked good. Is that so it might end up in her closet? Anyway I plan to finish it on Wednesday.
Also, I completed another charm square set. But for some reason that picture will not post.

No comments: