Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Last sewing day of the year

I woke up several times during the night, but then overslept, getting up at 9:45. The recyclables that I stayed up late packaging, were still in the foyer and it was too late to put them out. I drank a quart of lemon water while deleting e-mail. I ate some seed crackers and then got dressed. I searched for some cotton batting for Maria. Nothing was big enough so I had to piece it together. I put my craft materials in a bag. Then I walked in a light rain to the Housing building. No one was there. I turned on the lights and heat and started getting out tables. Then other ladies came and helped get out machines and supplies. Some brought their kids, who ran around screaming. Dynee put a backing on her table mat, and Chong mostly finished her folded star ball, then helped Dynee sew the opening shut. Then Dynee started a Christmas one. Lacey brought her featherweight: it was a hit with the class. Chantal brought her sister who started a paper kusodama ball. When 1 o'clock came, several people were still working. I told them they could stay but I had to go do stuff. But I did not get out of there until 1:30. Kelly had texted me a pic of her white chocolate cookies. I asked if she needed baking sheets and she said yes. I went home and found three. Her girls came over to get them and I gave them the rice candy and coffee sticks as well. Then I made and ate breakfast. I cut another piece of anti-scorch fabric for Maria since the one at Housing wasn't big enough. But the first one I cut was 20” square so I had to cut again to get 20 by 25. I folded them up for class. I sent powerpoint slides of Sleigh Ride to the chaplain. I took a strip of blue snowflake fabric and fused a strip of heavy stabilizer down the middle. I folded over the edges and stitched them down. Then I sewed a piece of elastic to both ends to make a headband to hold my hair in place. But the hair at the back of my head is shorter than the rest and the elastic showed. So I cut a little more fabric to cover the elastic. It was a rush job but I figured no one really cares. It was wet out so I called Mrs. Kim to see if she needed a ride and she said she was already walking to the chapel. I packed up my trombone and jumped in the car. I picked her up on the way. When we got to the chapel, there was no parking, so I parked at the FFTC. We walked to the chapel and saw that there was a large group of Korean high school students. They seemed to be on their way out so we set up and started to play, but then they filed into the sanctuary for a photo shoot. So we sat by, waiting until they were finished. After that, we practiced two songs, Sleigh Ride and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Then we talked about caroling on Christmas Eve and she said she would like to play for that. Then we went our separate ways. I went home to have supper. The chaplain had responded to my e-mail saying that he could not post to the community page but giving me the announcement. So I posted it. I ate some sweet potato casserole. I thought it needed something, so I tried lemon juice and it was good, but maybe cranberry was a better way to go. I could not find my fanny pack with my phone in it. I ran out to the car but did not see it. Then I walked to class. The light were already on in Housing. I was worried that someone left them on, but the building was open and three ladies were already there. Dynee showed me her finished table mat. She then started an ornament. I helped Maria work on the iron caddy she was making for her husband. Lacey was working on her own project and Evelin finished up her bordered table cloth. Then they helped pack up. I put aside the Christmas stuff to go home with me. After they left, I swept the floor, turned off the lights and heat, and locked the building. It was raining harder. I walked home. Chris was there. He had bought a bottle of Jack Daniels for someone at the office. He wanted help wrapping it. So I suggested a fabric bag and pulled out some burgundy velvet, also offering him a Christmas print. But he had the idea of wrapping it in a t-shirt. He came up with two, but one had never been worn. I figured out how to wrap it such that the emblem on the shirt was centered on the bottle. Then I tied it around the neck. He liked that, so we were ready to watch TV. We went through several episodes of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Then he looked up several of the characters. I typed up my blog, finishing after he went to bed.

No comments: