Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sweet potato day

Chris got up before I did, in fact I did not hear him go to church. I expected to see him sitting at his computer when I got up. But it was almost 10. So I washed up and got dressed. I put on a black skirt, white top, and long sleeved red shirt. I only got to drink a little water before Chris came home to get me. He drove me to the chapel where there were two parking spaces. We did not have to use the hazard blinkers:) I went in and sat in my usual spot. Chang came up and asked to practice with me after church. So I called Chris and asked him to bring my trombone and music stand. During the time when the choir usually sang, a Korean man and woman sang a duet. He looked like an average Korean, but when he sang, he sounded like Pavarotti. They were both marvelous. The service was about the fourth advent candle, the one of peace. He asked who needed peace and someone answered 'the oppressed'. But I think the oppressors need peace, then they wouldn't feel the need to control everyone. After church, Chris came in with my trombone. But Chang was still playing guitar for the kids in Sunday School. I talked to Chantal and Suzanne. Then the kids got out and I went in with my trombone. He and I worked out how to play Do You Hear What I Hear as a duet. He played first, I did the echo and then we played together. It worked well, especially considering the language barrier. Then I packed up and put my trombone in the car. Chris and I walked to the commissary. We spent more time talking to Kim than shopping. We came home with the groceries and put them away. I made and ate breakfast. Then we drove to the FFTC to watch a movie: Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. It was pretty good. Then we came back home. I looked for into on how to avoid the Dirty Santa games, but all I could find were alternate rule sets. The comments indicated that people who love the game think people who don't are scrooges. One person took flack for posting that the gift money would be better spent at a homeless shelter. I have to agree. After that, I looked at sweet potato casserole recipes. I made a list of ingredients culled from numerous recipes. I printed out one for a sweet potato souffle. I made a salad, then peeled sweet potatoes between bites. I put them in a big pot to boil. I finished my salad. I soaked cut up dates in coconut water, then pureed them with the Magic Bullet. I assembled ingredients for the topping. I picked the potatoes out of the water and put them in a dish. The recipe said I could mash the potatoes with an immersion blender. Well, sort of, but the hand masher worked better. The recipe called for 3 cups, so I took three out and put the rest in a jar. I added some of the other ingredients. I left out the eggs and substituted dates for honey. Actually the date/water mixture was a lot like apple butter. I used the immersion blender to stir in the spices. But the three cups looked paltry in the dish, so I added two more. Then I chopped the oats into flour with the other blade of the Magic Bullet. I put in the butter and cinnamon too. It did a good job with that, but for the nuts I had to mix by hand. I did not want the nuts chopped into powder. I took out the ham and ate some, wondering how I was going to fit more food in the fridge. Chris moved some things around. I put that mixture into the fridge, as well as the date/water mixture. Chris put the sweet potato mix away. The leftover potatoes went in a jar. I washed for a long time to clear up the utensils I used. I was surprised to see that the brand new metal cup measures were not hot water safe. The markings smeared off in the dishwater. ????! It seemed like the whole potato process took way longer and was way messier than it should have been. Finally Chris pulled up Netflix and we watched multiple episodes of Third Rock from the Sun. Then he went to bed and I stayed up to write up the day.
* These are the sticky window clings that I talked about yesterday. *

No comments: