Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Warehouse of Fabric

I walked over to the commissary to meet the quilt group. I had been singing and dancing all morning looking forward to the trip today. Such excitement! The others were excited, too. When the last person arrived, we took a group photo and loaded in to the cars and left. I don't know who left first, but we didn't stay together. I had the directions in hand, but they were hard to follow, as were the roads. The signs were confusing. But, we made it. And there it was, a small warehouse, with tables loaded with 2 yard cuts of fabric in plastic sleeves. On both sides of the tables and in the back were rolls of fabric. The rolls were stacked in towers. Each tower was made of layers of rolls, one layer longitudinal, the other latitudinal, stacked higher than my head. I wondered what they would do if I chose a fabric on the bottom. It was cold in the warehouse because they had the door open. When the day warmed up, the warehouse didn't. Even with gloves on I was cold. So we didn't dawdle. I chose my packets of fabric as quickly as I could. The cutting line was long, so I stayed away from the rolls, and stood near the heater. But just before we left, the line had disappeared, so I asked the young man to get a roll for me and cut two yards. He cut it, then discovered a few small holes, so he cut another two yards, then gave me both cuts for free. I was very happy. Also, they gave our group THREE large boxes of scraps. I can't wait to see what's in there.
Getting back took longer. We took the scenic route, on purpose if anyone asks. I called Chris at work several times to get route information from his coworkers. We got back about 2:45. I walked my purchases home which was no small feat. I brought home 104 yards of fabric. At $2 a yard, who can resist? So of course I spent the rest of the day and evening washing, drying and pressing said fabric. I like pressing fabric in front of the TV. Tonight I watch Les Miserables while pressing. Chris said we'd go over our weight limit just on fabric. I told him we could leave our furniture behind and buy new when we get back. One has to have priorities.

No comments: